.jump-link{ display:none }

Friday, 4 September 2026

Portraits of Life - Sepia Saturday

 A portrait of an elegant lady features in this week’s Sepia Saturday prompt image.  Rather than a head. & shoulders or hairstyles theme which I have done in the past, I have chosen to look at Portraits of Life. .
Portrait of Childhood 
 
 
 
Funnily enough I cannot remember having any favourite soft toys, (I was a dolly girl),  though presumably the one I am clutching in this studio photo must have been high on the list.  
 
 
Portraits of Friendship

 
 
Amy Dodd was a friend of George Danson,(1894-1916)  my youngest great uncle  who, as a stretcher bearer in the field was killed on the Somme in World War One.  

 




 Annie Jolly was a friend of my great aunt Jennie Danson (1897-1986)/  There were close links between the two families of Jolly and Danson.  
 
 Portraits of Faith
 
           
                  
1,  Dorothy Chisholm was confirmed in St. Chad's Parish  Church, Poulton-le-Fylde.  She  was engaged to John Danson, my widowed great uncle, but but he was killed in 1917 whilst in  army  training.    Dorothy never married, but the Danson family maintained contact with her throughout her life  and I have memories of visiting her in a bedsit with my mother taking her some of her home baking. 
 
2.   My husband's great aunt Violet Hibbert, in her confirmation dress,   taken at  Frank & Hamilton, Ocean Road, South Shields, County Durham. 
 
3. My paternal great grandfather James Matthews (1844-1917) of Wolverhampton in the English Midlands.  John was a staunch Methodist who conducted the local church choir and I am proud to have the silver baton he was  presented with for his service to the church.
 
Portraits of Service in War 
 
                                    
1.  My maternal grandfather Willliam Danson  (1885-1962)  who was awarded the Military Medal for bravery in action iin World War One.  
2.  My great uncle George Danson (1894-1916),  William's youngest brother , who was killed on the Somme in 1916.   
 
 
          
 
 My father   John Weston  (1912-2003) of Blackpool, Lancashire often talked about his war experiences (a sanitised version I am sure)  and I am afraid it did provoke the reaction at times of “Not the war again, Dad”. It was only later that we came to realise what a life-defining period it was, and I persuaded him to write an account for his granddaughter.   I was also  proud to add my father's accounts to the BBC World War Two People's Story online.

Dad served in the RAF Codes & Ciphers Branch  and was seconded to General Bradley’s US 12th Army Group HQ. He landed at Omaha beach after D-Day and advanced via St. Mere Eglise, Avranches, Versailles, Paris, Verdun and Luxembourg through to Wiesbaden in Germany. Immediately after VE Day he was posted to Burma where he was for VJ Day. 
 
 
                                       
                                       
 
 1.  My uncle Harry Danson (1912-2001)  who was one  of the many rescued at Dunkirk in 1940 arriving home days later   still in the uniform in which he had entered the sea to reach a boat.  
 
2.  My aunt Peggy Danson (1922-1999) who served in the WAAF (Women's Auxillary Air Force, manning barrage  balloons. 
 
3.  My uncle Billy Danson (1915-1990) who served in the navy in World War Two.  
 
3.  My uncle Charles Weston (1915-1999) who was taken prisoner by the Japanese in Singapore and experienced the horrors of  forced working on the railway.  

Portraits of Success


                                  
My student days ended on graduation, - followed four years later by my brother - and look at those 1970's sideburns!  Both our parents left school at 14 years old,  and we were the first generation to go to university - something our parents were very proud of. 
 
************************ 
 

Sepia Saturday gives bloggers an opportunity to share their family history through photographs.

  

  
 
Click HERE to see favourite family photos from other Sepia Saturday bloggers/  

*********************



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.