.jump-link{ display:none }

Friday 23 April 2021

T for Travel & Technology: A-Z Scottish Borders in Lockdown

A-Z Blogging Challenge 2021   - Scottish Borders in Lockdown
Recording My Everyday Life - A Picture for Future Generations

 

 

What TRAVEL? Covid Regulations stipulated "StayHome, Stay Local " - i.e. only travel beyond five miles if your journey was essential i.e. for work, for medical appointments, essential shopping.

There was even talk at one stage of closing the border between Scotland and England - though goodness know how that could be policed. There are five main routes between the two countries, but many local people would know the back country roads to avoid being stopped.




Coldstream Bridge over the River Tweed which marks the boundary between Scotland and England.




The massive stone at Carter Bar, south of Jedburgh, welcoming people tin Scotland. No, Carter Bar is not a place for a drink - it is so called after the old word for "gate or "pass, used by the carters and drovers who crossed the Cheviot Hills at this high point of the Border between England and Scotland - high in British terms, that is, as only 1370 feet. Not a place to linger in winter, with no buildings to be seen, but with dramatic views over the hills.



An atmospheric shot with showers looming - looking north east from Carter Bar over the Cheviot Hills.

Foreign holidays returned briefly last summer but now anyone going abroad with out just cause is liable for a hefty fine - much to the dismay of the travel industry who foresee another summer ruined. But hopes are for a change soon, with safe countries given a green light for access.


The UK has been criticized for being slow to bring in Covid checks at airports and slow to impose quarantine restrictions on overseas visitors entering the country. I was surprised to hear from my brother returning to the UK from India a few months ago, that, although he had to show a negative Covid test result, there was no social distancing on the plane, with no seats blocked off (unlike on buses and trains). Masks were compulsory and people in the middle seats were given also visors to wear - and that was it.




TECHNOLOGY - for us today it is hard to imagine what the pandemic would have been like without the benefits of technology in our lives. I think back to the Black Death in the Middle Ages, the Great Plague in London in 1665, and the Spanish Flu Epidemic in 1918-19.


I have been on the phone a lot during Lockdown chatting to friends - a great spirit lifter. I have no wish to go down the route of video chats and for people to see me. My thoughts on Zoom, I will keep for the letter Z.


Radio is on, almost permanently during the daytime, with music an important part of my life.

I am not a television addict, but I have my favourite programmes that I enjoy and husband and I have enjoyed seeing again many of our DVDs as home entertainment.

The computer is another essential feature of my life - I cannot imagine what life would be like in Lockdown without it - my saviour my online family history activities.


But it is important to highlight that it is the use of Technology by scientists and doctors that has resulted in the advances in medicine to fight the disease, and especially to bring Covid vaccines to the population.





****************

ONTO U IS FOR UNPRECEDENTED AND UNKNOWN

6 comments:

  1. I have been very thankful for technology this past year. Like you, I can't imagine what it might have been like without it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Sue - I certainly would have been lost without technology during COVID. It was lovely to see the Coldstream bridge. We used to have a friend who had a cottage at Coldstream many years ago. I do love travel and I can't bear thinking that we may never travel overseas again. Thank goodness for scientists and researchers who have been working so hard on developing vaccines. One thing that I find Tedious during COVID is barking dogs. Its one of the drawbacks of suburbia. I guess many dogs that might have had lots of companionship during lockdowns are lonely when the lockdown is lifted. Bark. Bark. Bark. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were in England and Scotland about 20 years ago. We long to go back, but I suspect our international travel days are over. We do well to survive a two-day car trip!
    Thanks for your posts. Always fun and informative to read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Technology wins hands down for keeping us connected during the pandemic. How else would we blog, for one? I fell in love with Zoom early on -- and have enjoyed innumerable genealogy webinars/meetings/workshops as a result, not to mention family and friend get together. https://mollyscanopy.com/2021/04/talking-on-the-busy-signal-atozchallenge/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Technology has been a god-send for sure in terms of community and health. Travel overseas is in the long term by which stage we may have lost interest having done lots in the past. We’ve been able to enjoy two separate short breaks a few hours away which has been therapeutic, plus our week in Darwin at Xmas. When we flew to Darwin in XMas Day the flight had lots of spare seats but the return flight was jammed packed. Only masks worn, but not by 100%. Qantas CEO Alan Joice has threatened no jab, no flight for international travel (when it reopens) and did that cause a kerfuffle! People forget that once you had to have smallpox, typhoid, cholera before you could travel. Sigh. However the Kiwis are happy as the travel bubble has opened between NZ and Oz.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your comments - and yes, universal praise for technology. A good point, Pauleen, about jabs in the past necessary for travel. When I went to the USA in 1965 to work for a year I needed to get a smallpox booster, that I had originally as a baby.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.