This week's Sepia Saturday prompt photograph features a young womam enjoying lounging around in the sunshine. I have the ideal match,
The year is 1966; the place Nantucket Island in New England; the occasion my year long spell in the USA when I was on an exchange programme, working in the Radcliffe Library in Cambridge Massachusetts. With a friend we bussed from Boston to Woods Hole on the tip of Cape Cod to take the ferry for a break on the island. I loved New England - its history, its architecture, its seascapes and landscapes. It took me 30 years before I was able to return and renew my memories.
1965 and the back garden of our home in Edinburgh . Posing for a family photograph before I headed off for my year in the USA. My aunt Edith seated, with Mum on the grass, Dad on the lounger, plus my brother oblivious to it all!
Onto the 1990s , and my husband taking a breaka from sightseeing and walking. Here outside our hotel in the Austrian Tyrol.
Here is my husband's father John Robert Donaldson taking a break from his work as a painter and sign writer, with an example of his work below.
A bill board in South Shields, County Durham, painted just after the Second World War with son Ian (right hand corner) who went into the family business by the side. The story went that because of a shortage of paper, it was painted directly onto the board. Nowadays, amidst anti-smoking campaigns, this advert would be banned.
And finally - our pet cocker spaniel resting her short legs after all those walks.
*****************
Sepia Saturday gives bloggers an opportunity to share their family history through photographs.
Click HERE see favourite family photos
from other Sepia Saturday bloggers
*****************

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.