.jump-link{ display:none }

Friday 9 April 2021

H for Hobbies, Holidays, Hair Days & Humour: A-Z Scottish Borders in Lockdown

A-Z Blogging Challenge 2021 - Scottish Borders in Lockdown

Recording My Everyday Life - A Picture for Future Generations

HOBBIES   -They  have definitely sustained me during Lockdown.  I knew from the start, I would have no difficulty filling my time.  I began the New Year determined to widen my family history research & writing to my father's side and my husband's side.      See F for Family History, C for Creativity & Crochet and G for Good Reads book reviews.

I continue to enjoy writing my weekly  Random Ramblings   "to record my everyday life for future generations" for which this A-Z series of posts is an offshoot. 
 

I enjoy adding photographs to my written ramblings,  although my contribution during Lockdown is slight - I am just not going anywhere outside the village. 

             18th century Craigsford Bridge, over the Leader Water at Earlston

I also recommend Pixabay  for sourcing   free images - as a former librarian, I am wary of falling foul of copyright issues!  


A hobby I have returned to after a long gap  - I took out my electronic piano keyboard and shut   myself up to  try and tinkle every day – pretty hopeless – right hand not bad but coordinating with my left is another story!  Still practice might make  perfect  - and at least it is a different activity. 


 

Women'S, Music, Instrument, Piano, Playing The Piano

Image courtesy of Pixabay

 

HOLIDAYS - What holidays?   We have not been away since Autumn 2019. A booked visit last Easter on my ancestral trail, along with daughter and granddaughter had to be cancelled due to Lockdown - ditto a later city break. 

Newspaper pages full of holiday adverts, but I wouldn't dream of making a booking, given the continually changing position regarding Covid and Lockdown.


c.1980 - A visit to my birthplace of Blackpool in Lancashire,  seated on North Pier with the famous Blackpool Tower in the background, opened in 1894.
  

HAIR DAYS   - how many of us are complaining about our straggly locks with hairdressers closed for months?   I resorted to trimming my fringe   and the sides myself  - with limited success.    Daughter bought me an Alice Band – I quickly passed that back  to her  - I am too old for the Alice in Wonderland look.  I tried tucking my hair behind my ears with  Kirby grips, but the last thing they did was grip - and soon fell out.  And no - I have no selfies of the looks!

 Hairstyle, Androgynous, Cool, Punk, Emo, Sad, Black

  Image courtesy of Pixabay

 

Which brings me nicely to:   

Humour in All Things - Such as the  comments from my husband:  I looked like a "demented scarecrow"  when doing my exercises; on my attempts to do something with my hair - a scarf tied round my head and I was "like something out of the film "Pirates of the Caribbean"  or  the operetta "The Pirates of Penzance";  a bandeau caled forth the comment that I was like an "elderly John McEnroe" - I abandoned both styles!   All comments made in the nicest jokey  kind of way and I did not take offence - but I remembered them!

Ducks demonstrating social distancing whilst crossing the road 

 

**************

ON TO I FOR INFORMATION, INNOVATION & INDULGENCE 

#AtoZChallenge 2021 badge 

 ***********************

 


3 comments:

  1. Your husband, like mine, is cheeky, but I guess he made you laugh. I must admit covid has made me glad I’d already let my grey reveal itself. We have been lucky enough to have had a couple of mini holidays thanks to our lower covid stats but one is always anxious of being caught in a lockdown or quarantine. Thoughts of distant travel now seem unlikely and rather less necessary. I’m glad we got lots of travelling done in earlier years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me smile. So much to relate to! For home haircuts, you should check out YouTube videos. There are excellent ones where they train hairdressers how to do various styles -- and I have been able to follow them with some success. I am also a fan of Pixabay (and sometimes Pexels) for blog photos in a pinch. https://mollyscanopy.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay for Pixabay! It has been my saviour for Facebook posts for the Society. Ah yes the hair. Now that I'm not working I can't afford to get my hair done, even if the hairdressers are open. Consequently I look it looks very lack lustre. My husband's humour can be a strain at times but heck, it's better than moaning. Humour is essential in these times.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.