.jump-link{ display:none }

Friday 21 October 2022

Five Generations in the Back Yard. - Sepia Saturday

An image of a young girl sitting in a deck chair in her "back yard"  is this week's prompt photograph from Sepia Saturday and below are five generations of my family taken in their varied back yards. 

There is an anecdote  here connected with "back yard". Many years ago I spent a year working in the USA and was invited to visit a work colleague, who commented that we would sit in the "back yard".  I wasn't too sure about that prospect .  It conjured up an image of soap opera Coronation Street with back-to-back terraced houses with a small paved or cobbled   back yard for storing the dustbins and bikes - very utilitarian.  I was wrong,  of course,  with my interpretation, for Instead I found that this American "back yard"  was a large garden with a beautiful lawn and flower beds - so much for transatlantic misunderstandings!   

My first photograph was taken in a typical English back yard where my grandparents William Danson and Alice English posed for a photograph before he set off for war in  1916.   They lived in a terraced house on Bull Street, just off the Square, in Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancashire,  The houses were demolished in the 1960's and replaced by a small shoppingm all.

William Danson  and Alice English - my grandparents , 1916.


Bull Street, Poulton-le-Fylde, where my Danson grandparents lived until 1926.

Playing in the back garden - 
my aunt  Edith (seated) & mother Kathleen Danson, c.1914




My mother in the back garden of her first married home, c.1938

My first photo with my Dad  in the back garden of home. 1944 


 Me - on the back door step of our home, 1944
 


The same back garden - this time with my mother and pet kitten, c.1946  I cannot remember the kitten,  and I would have moved that dustbin out of the picture!
 
Onto 1968  and   our home in Edinburgh .  
  My aunt Edith, seated,  with Mum on the grass (50 years from the earlier  photograph above), with  Dad -  plus my brother oblivious to it all! 
        

Me - enjoying the sun in Nantucket, Massachusetts, 1966. 

                     
Onto 1981 and the back garden of our home in Hawick in the Scottish Borders.  It is summer and this is my first attempt (and virtually the last)  at cooking on a barbecue, but my efforts fell foul of the weather - hence the umbrella. Did I really need that watering can there as a health & safety measure?                               















                                              
 Daughter outside our back door  - c.1990



 
1998  - a lovely family group of three generations, taken after my brother's (second) wedding - and yes he did wear that red shirt for the occasion!
Dad in the middle, with my niece and daughter seated. 
 
 
And finally - the  fifth generation of the family 

Our little granddaughter enjoying her back garden.

Happy family photographs that make me smile! 
 
 
***************** 

 
Sepia Saturday gives an opportunity for genealogy bloggers 
       to share their family history through photographs
 
 


Click HERE to see more blogger tales of back yards and more.   
 
 *************

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful progression of 'back yard' pictures. I absolutely LOVE the one of you trying to BBQ in the rain in Hawick! Great shot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Making good use of the back yard theme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great collection...but I have a question (which you can answer in your next post, or on my blog as a comment) What is the function of the colorful fabric hanging behind everyone in the garden picture where brother lies oblivious? Everyone is sort of squeezed in front of it...maybe just for photo reasons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,Barbara - the colourful screen behind my family is a “windbreaker”, often used on the beach or when camping. Though I canno think why we needed it on this occasion.

      Delete
  4. An excellent medley of back gardens (yards). It's funny how many family photos often are consistently taken at the same location around a house or flat. Maybe it's something to do with finding the best lighting or prettiest background for the picture, or perhaps it's just how one photographer always chooses a favorite place to stand.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.