.jump-link{ display:none }

Saturday 16 October 2021

The First Time We Met: Sepia Saturday

A happy famiy proudly cooing over their baby is the this week's prompt photograph from Sepia Saturday   A short post, for a change from me this week, as  I recall the first time my father met me.  

I was a wartime  baby and Dad  had to wait until he was on leave to see me. 


Following the deaths of both  my parents, I found a number of letters they exchanged in 1944, whilst my father was serving in the RAF as a Code and Cipher Clerk in France. In one letter, Dad asked for “A  Photograph of Baby" - and this studio portrait was the result.  The Photographer was W. R. Buckley & Son, Regent Studio, Cocker Street, Blackpool

 

 

 This photograph too means a lot of me, as my mother looks so happy and stylish with her typical 40's hairstyle and elegant dress. I can  only remember Mum with grey hair worn  in a French pleat.  But the picture came as a surprise, as I had  never seen it before,   with no copy in the family album of my childhood.  Just before my marriage, my  future husband and I were visiting an old family friend of my parents,   when she brought out this picture and gave it to us.  I was delighted to have it!


 A later wartime picture taken on Blackpool Beach, Lancashire.

A typical happy 1950s family photo


 A proud father and daughter 1971. 

****************

Sepia Saturday gives an opportunity for genealogy bloggers  
to share their family history and memories through photographs
 
  Click  HERE to see how other Sepia Saturday blogger 
                                have related their family stories for this week. 

 

 ****************

 

 

4 comments:

  1. I enjoyed your briefly presented life from birth to marriage, with your father and mother also changing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicely done! Wonderful examples of how the stories behind simple photos can turn them into treasures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A wonderful section of pix to match the prompt. I love the one of you with your mother. Beautiful. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.