.jump-link{ display:none }

Thursday 10 September 2020

A Family History Success - Discoveing Dad's Choir Photo

My father John Percy Weston (1912-2003) grew up in Broseley, Shropshire across  the river from the more famous Ironbridge - often called the "cradle of the Industrial Reeoution".


Dad had written up for me his childhood memories that formed the basis of my narrative  in "A Broseley Boyhood" which I have featured on my blog.  But  it was always a source of great regret to him that photographs of him  as a young boy in the  school football team and as  a choir boy were thrown out at some point by a family member.  

For some reason last week it suddenly occurred to me to contact Broseley  Local History Society to see if they held any pictures of the church choir  in the 1920s.  I met with Immediate  success! 




 The Challenge - which chorister in this photograph was my father?  
My only guess was the man on the far left in the third row from  the back. What do you think from the cropped images below?

                        
c.1928 - aged 16  choir                  1930 - aged 18  


                      
          2026 - aged 14
  •  To my mind, Dad looks rather old in the football image to be only 14, but this comes from a copy of a dated, and named newspaper cutting, courtesy of Broseley Local History Society.
  • The 1930 photograph, comes from a family gathering at Dad's older brother's wedding.  
     
These are the only three photographs I now have of my father before he met my mother in 1936.nd facts,  but may also come up trumps on personal   information.  

I am very grateful to Broseley Local History Society for filling this gap in my family history.  If only I had thought of approaching them many years ago - my father would have been so delighted to see these images from his youth.  . 


 


****************** 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.