.jump-link{ display:none }

Wednesday 8 November 2023

Seaside "Walkies" : Sepia Saturday

This  week's Sepia Saturday prompt photo  show people walking along a street.    It  awoke my  memories of  seaside holidays and the photographers who plied  their trade along the promenades,  taking snapshots of people strolling by - hence the term  "walkies"  - as opposed to the current trend for   "selfies"! 

You paid money and either collected  the photographs later at  a kiosk, or could arrange for them to be posted home to you - just hoping they would arrive and this wasn't  what we now call a "scam".  We often did our best to dodge the photographers and not get caught by their hard sell. 


A walk along Blackpool promenade, c.1946 with Mum and my paternal grandmother,  who of course  were both wearing hats.    I don't  look too happy, but I do like that little handbag I am carrying. My dressmaker mother made my coats,  with velvet trimmed collar and pockets.  This is the only image I have of myself with my grandmother. 

Onto the 1950s and on holiday in  Bournemouth on the south coast of England.  

A double strip - at  Bournemouth on the south coast of England - early 1950's, with  Dad carrying my brother, and my aunt alongside.  This would be August yet my aunt was  wearing a warm coat - so much for a British summer!

 
Again Bournemouth  - Dad, brother   and myself (as usual with my eyes shut on a photograph),   wearing a dress. made by my mother - little blue and green flower print with a big white collar, and my hair in its usual pigtails fastened with ribbons.  We are all casually dressed for the summer,  but look at the older man behind - in his suit, collar and tie, waistcoat and trilby hat. 



  Two more Bournemouth photographs of Dad and my brother. 


And finally - a photograph in my husband's collection - but he has no idea who it is.  The only clue is a note on the back "Lots of Love from the four D's at Skegness!. I guess that it was taken late 1940's judging by the dress style of the older woman on the right and the fact both women were wearing hats.  A typical image of "Walkie" photograph.



 ************

Sepia Saturday gives an opportunity for genealogy bloggers 
to share their family history through photographs.

 

 **************************

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Great "Walkies" of the family. I've only encountered a "street" photographer once and politely refused the offer to have my picture taken. In the case of the one taken of you, your Mum, and your paternal grandmother being the only photograph you have of you in the same photo with your grandmother, what a lucky "Walkie" photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great photos. I love the style people had, especially the hats.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how the camera captures people in motion as they are walking. It's a use of early advances in film and camera technology. I wonder who was the first photographer to think of this? I've since found examples of this kind of photo in my family collection from my grandparents generation taken on the streets of Chicago or New York.

    I had my only encounter with a street photographer outside Buckingham Palace on only my second or third day in London. At first I didn't understand, being flattered that a man had taken my picture. But when he asked for £5 I balked and then talked him down to £2. Of course I never got the photo but I learned a lesson. My straw safari hat identified me as an easy tourist mark. Afterwards I never wore it again in London.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.