.jump-link{ display:none }

Friday 12 March 2021

Family & Friends in Threes: Sepia Saturday

Three young men enjoying a relaxing sail feature in this week’s Sepia Saturday prompt photograph.  I have little on ships and sailing, but plenty on family and friend in threesomes.

My best match:

THREE SAILOR LADS

This is one of the many photographs in my great aunt Jennie Danson’ collection – here identifying her cousin Jack Riley, of Fleetwood, Lancashire.


Jack, the seated figure in the middle of this group,  is in sailor uniform with the cap  HMS Chester.

Jack was 5 months old in the 1901 census, but so far I have been unable to find him ten years on;  nor could I trace a service record  for him.

I did a search for HMS Chester and was surprised to find it was the ship on which a young sailor John Travers Cornwell fought at the Battle of Jutland in 1916 and  was warded the Victoria  Cross for a conspicuous act of bravery.  The citation reads  "Mortally wounded early in the action, Boy, First Class, John Travers Cornwell remained standing alone at a most exposed post, continuing to service his gun, until the end of the action, with the gun's crew dead and wounded all round him. His age was under sixteen".

John Cornwell was a keen scout in his home town and in his honour the Boy Scout Association instituted  the Cornwell Scout Badge, awarded for outstanding acts of  courage and endurance in the face of adversity. There is an additional  personal dimension to this story, for my husband received the Cornwell badge in 1948 following three years serious illness  in hospital.

Was Jack Riley another young sailor  on board HMS Chester at this time? Something to add to my research "to do" list.

  

I have  a postcard sent by his mother to my great grandmother to say " Jack went out to sea today.  He went in good spirits".  The postmark is difficult to make out but could be 7.?? 16. 


THREE SOLEMN CHILDREN

A younger photograph of Jack (on the right) with his sister Jane and brother Tom, c.1913.

THREE GENERATIONS


 My great grandmother Maria Danson, nee Rawcliffe (1859-1919), 
with her daughter Jennie (my great aunt)  and her little granddaughter Annie - c. 1909. 

Jennie was the only daughter and last child of James and Maria Danson, born on Christmas Eve, December 24th 1897, with her eight (surviving)  brothers,  George then aged 3, Frank 5, Albert 7, Tom 9, William 12, Robert 16, John 18 and Harry 20 – quite a household in what looked like  a cramped terraced house.  Their father James died in 1906. 

Jennie's photograph collection forms the basis of much of my family history and even better she had identified the names on the back of most of the photos.   

THREE SISTERS


Another photograph from Jennie's collection, identified as Amy,  Edna and Lavinia Dodd, Todmorden.

Jennie's youngest brother George had enlisted  January 1916 at Todmorden, West Yorkshire.  His service record gave his   address at the time as  17 Harker Street, Harley Bank,  Todmorden, with occupation station bookstall manager. 

I turned to the 1911 census online  and found the Dodd family at  17 Harker Street, Harley Bank,  Todmorden, with head of household Elizabeth Dodd (occupation choring) and three daughters Amy aged 15 (a cotton weaver) , Edna 12 (a fustian sewer)  and Lavinia  aged 9.  

George was killed 9 months after enlisting and his name is on Todmorden War Memorial as well as on the  memorial at his birthplace in Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancashire. 

THREE HAPPY CHILDREN

 

My cousin's father in his little Lord Fountleroy outfit - Arthur Smith, born 1908 in Blackpool, Lancashire, with his sisters Ella and Edith.

 

THREE ON THE ROCK


My parents, though I suspect this was taken prior to their marriage in 1938, with Mum (Kathleen Danson) on the left and Dad (John Weston) on the right  - plus an unidentified friend.

A FAREWELL TRIO


My father in RAF uniform, with my mother on the right and her sister, my Aunt Edith on Dad's left - taken in the garden of my grandfather's house, c.1940.

THREE IN A ROW

 

Dad on the left  and his older brother Fred - whilst I am the little girl, not looking too happy.  

 

A PROUD TRIO

 

A windy day for my graduation, Edinburgh 1965. 

 

THREE MORE GENERATIONS


With my mother and my daughter, 1981

 

 ***********

Sepia Saturday give bloggers an opportunity to share their family history and memories through photographs


 Click HERE to read posts  from other Sepia Saturday bloggers.

 

 

12 comments:

  1. Some wonderful photographs here, but I couldn't stop thinking about poor Jennie Danson growing up with eight older brothers! I worked with a very attractive girl who grew up with seven older brothers and the tales she told me about her trials and tribulations with them! I laughed, and she laughed telling me about them, but I don't suppose they were so funny at the time. She said one of the things they used to do when people told her she was pretty was go to great lengths to tell her that they HAD to say that to be polite, and for a long time, she thought she wasn't pretty because of that. What dirty rotten brothers! They later (much later) apologized saying they felt they needed to do it to keep her from getting a swelled head. Sheesh! Anyway, lovely post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the stories of her daughter, Jenny was a feisty individual who could well hold her own with those brothers. But after 10 years of looking after the four still living in the family home, adter their mother died,she put her foot down, got married and left them. They very quickly followed suit to set up their own homes with a wife.



      Delete
  2. Trios make for good photos. I love how fashion shows the passage of time. Lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely post. I did enjoy your trios, especially the Marilyn Monroe style one of your graduation!! Eight brothers!! I thought I was doing well with 6 brothers-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my - that Little Lord Fauntleroy outfit! It reminds me of when my sister and I had pictures made of our kids together. My girls were in pretty velvet Christmas dresses. Her son was in a classic shortall with a French hand-sewn collar - very British looking. The photographer said, "Are you kidding? Someone is going to beat that kid up one day." Now I can't believe we even let the guy take the pictures! HA HA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your memory of your family photograph. Yes I imagine curly headed Arthur could have come in for some flack. He looked so different and ordinary once his hair was cut short.

      Delete
  5. I laughed out loud at your skirt blowing up in the graduation photo. There are some great serious and smiling portraits you've shared here. I agree, thinking of having a houseful of brothers and being the only girl, oh my, it must have been difficult!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had fun skipping through your photos and picking trios! So beautiful - all of them. Heartbreaking to read about servicemen who lost their lives - but good to be reminded of the sacrifice they and their families made. Is that your secondary or uni graduation? Your Dad looks so dashing in his RAF uniform!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Mary-Alice . In the 1960s and beyond in the Uk, “graduation” was used only to refer to university. We did not have any particular ceremony when I left High School apart from the usual “wishing us all well” at the end of term service.

      Delete
  7. A great collection of trios that I enjoyed. The first part of your post about John Corwell was heartbreaking. Under 16! And then to have a family connection to his story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All very fine trios, some of which I believe we've seen before. Your first postcard of cousin Jack is intriguing for his life and for the odd man out, of course. I've seen many similar vintage photos of British sailors and never seen any black men in naval uniform. It's a rarity worth sharing on a forum of military history buffs. I'm curious to know how common it was in the navy. I imagine it was more likely than in the army.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your interest and sharing your own threesomes .

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.