.jump-link{ display:none }

Wednesday 10 February 2021

Valentine Cards from Flanders Field: 52 Ancestors - Week. 6

Valentines are the theme of Week 6 of Amy Johnson Crow's year long prompt "52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks." 
 
As we mark Valentine's Day, I like to look back on the cards my grandfather William Danson (1885-1962) sent  from the Battlefields of World War One to his wife Alice, at home with their four young children in Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancashire. 

This first card below was posted  on February 1918,    and I like to think was sent to Alice for Valentine’s Day.



 I never knew my grandmother who died when I was a baby.  Grandad was a taciturn countryman, who was working as a cattle man at the local auction mart when he was called up in 1916.  He was not given to flowery language, so the emotions expressed through these cards seemed out of character, but revealed his closeness to Alice.  In contrast the pencilled messages on the back were very prosaic. 
 


Field Post Office - Feb. 7th 1918    
Dear Alice, received your letter allright.  I have landed back at the Batt. and am in the pink.  I have had a letter from Jerny [sister] and am glad they have  heard from Tom [brother].  Your loving husband, Billy   XXX.
 
 
The "In the pink" phrase seemed to be a favourite term that William used in other messages as well.

"Batt" - I take it to mean the battalion.

"Blighty" in the address was used as   a nickname for Britain, or often specifically England.  It was first used by soldiers in the Indian army in the 19th century and was popularised in the First World War.  According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word derives from "bilayati", a regional variant of the Urdu word " meaning "foreign", "British", "English" or "European." or "Anglo-Indian".

A "blighty wound" was a wound serious enough to  require recuperation away from the trenches, but not serious enough to kill or maim the victim - it was hoped for by many, and sometimes self-inflicted.

 

Field Post Office 29 April 1918
Dear Alice, just a line to let you know I am in the pink and hope all at home is the same. There is nothing that I want.  Will write again shortly.  Your loving Billy, xxxx.
 
My aunt thought this was a very "risque" card, and totally unlike her father! 

I don't know when the card below was sent, but it was in the family collection and again the love my grandparents shared shines through. 



Inside verse 

"Oh, Can you read the secret of my heart?
You surely must, dear wife  
 
??? of myself, you are the better part, 
Companion for my life.

The secret is, wherever you may be,  
No power n earth can change my love for thee,

Your loving Billy XXXX


William and Alice, c.1916 
 
 
William's family back home
Alice with Edith, Kathleen (my mother), Harry and baby Billy . c.1916  

In April 1918, Grandad was awarded the Military Medal for bravery in action.


 
 William  served in the King's Own Royal Lancaster Regiment.  and I wrote to the regimental museum at Lancaster Castle for more information   I  was sent a copy of an extract from the Regimental War Diary.   The full citation (a poor typed copy) reads:
"For conspicuous gallantry in action at GIVENCHY on 9th April 1918, this N.C.O commanded a Lewis Gun section...He did good work with his gun during the attack inflicting heavy casualties on the enemy. When the other N.C.O. in command of the other Lewis Gun was wounded, he took over the gun and controlled the line of fire."  
  The 9th April was five  days after Granddad's 33rd birthday.
 

                           William and Alice, 1938 at my own parents' wedding 
 
 
 
The Danson family, c.1941 - Edith, Peggy, William & Alice, Harry and Kathleen
with son Billy, serving in he navy,  absent.  
Youngest daughter Peggy was born after the First World War. 
 
 
Like many of those who had experienced the horrors of the First World War, Grandad would never talk about this time.  He lost two brothers  during the war - John and George. 

 The cards, kept for over  100 years stand out as a symbol of  beauty and love for Grandad's family back home. 

 ************
 
Join Amy Johnson's Crow's 
 Facebook Group  "Generations Cafe." 

to read posts from other bloggers taking part in the
 "52 Ancestors" Challenge, 2021

May be an image of text that says "Post Your Links Here 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Week 6: Valentine AmyJohnsonCrow.com/52ancestors 52ancestors .com/"

******************

1 comment:

  1. How very sweet...and I agree that card was quite risque, a woman just wrapped, not clothed! Oh my!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.