.jump-link{ display:none }

Wednesday 17 February 2021

90 Years of Snowy Tale: Sepia Saturday

This week’s Sepia Satuday image is of a man with a zoom  camera lens, taking  photographs in the Antarctic.  A cue for me to write about snowy tales - very appropriate as in   the Scottish Borders it is snowing as I draft this post,

 

An idyllic snowy picture of Selkirk in the Scottish Borders c.1925.  

from the collection of the Heritage Hub, Hawick.


 

Luxembourg, 1944 

My father (left) was briefly stationed in Luxembourg in 1944 before the Battle of the Bulge and the crossing of the Rhine  into Germany.  He became friendly with the Batten family and was welcomed into their home.  Here he is with Mr Batten and his little daughter.  Dad remained in contact with Mr. Batten for many years and these two photographs I found in Dad's album.

From bountiful images to less happy experiences of snow. 

MISERY IN SNOW   

I have no winter photographs of my childhood - cameras must have been reserved for summer and I  can't say I have any memorable weather memories either.   - I was too young to recollect the dreadful winter of 1947.   But my parents' memories of the Big Freeze of 1947 remained powerful and that year  has gone down in history as one of the worst winters experienced in  Britain.  According to Met.  Office records,  snow fell every day somewhere in the UK for a run of 55 days, with the temperature  on most days barely exceeded freezing,  causing hardship in both living conditions and in industry and farming.  This was in the early  post war   years of austerity,with food rationing, fuel shortages and power cuts   rife. 
  
Like most people,  our home had no such thing as central heating,  so we had to huddle around the one fire in the living room - the only room with heating. Frost appeared on the inside of the bedroom windows.  We kept the inner person warm with my mother's simple, hearty comfort food, but for Mum especially it was a worrying time, trying to keep my little baby brother warm. 

Below:  the 1947 winter in Earlston in the Scottish Borders where I now live  - photographs courtesy of the Auld Earlston Group 

 

In fine weather,  this is the main A68 road through the central Borders, linking Edinburgh and England.    


Digging out the train at Earlston Station.  


By 1963  (another  notoriously bad winter) we were in Edinburgh and I recall my mother worried at the non-arrival of my father from a business trip to London (before the days of mobile phones and instant communication).  He was stranded overnight on a train stuck in the Border hills, with an engine sent to rescue it also trapped..

Our  daughter was born in January,  so an unfortunate time for planning parties.   Here she is on her 4th birthday - not looking too happy outside  in Hawick.  Still we went through the ritual of a birthday photograph in 1977.

 

Then came all the talk of global warming, mild and wet winters (umbrellas the essential accessory).  2001 was a blip with some of  the worst snow for years, and Hawick was cut off for three days and I could not get to work, with no buses running outside the town.  I resorted to creative  cookery from what was in my store cupboard and for the first occasion in years had time to make pancakes on Shrove Tuesday.    

This was our hill down to the High Street  and the supermarket.  Resourceful people were trudging down with rucksacks on their back and pulling a sledge to bring shopping back up the hill.  

 

FUN IN SNOW

 

Our dog enjoyed a romp in the snow. on the hill behind out house 

 

 
 We enjoyed catching  sight of the heron on the Slitrig Water in Hawick
 
 
 

 Taking a walk in the snowy woods

 

 

 Summer snow in July 1997  - 

husband and I are on the Stubai Glacier, near Innsbruck in Austria 










     Enjoying a winter walk with friends, 1966

I am wearing my favourite fur hood, made fashionable after the film of Dr. Zhivago/ 





Members of Earlston Curling Club enjoying a game out of doors. 1995

Somebody' idea of fun!  Playing at snow angels, 2018. 
 
*******

Snow when it first falls ca be a wonderful magical experience transforming the landscape.  But when it changes to an icy, slippery danger, I prefer not to venture outside,  and when it ends up as grey, messy, slush on pavements,  it is a depressing, wet experience trying to negotiate pavemnts and cross roads. 

BEAUTY IN SNOW 
So let's end on a positive note with some of my favourite snow pictures.
 
 
 
 
 
Harvard Yard, Cambriidge ., Mass. 1966 when a spent a year working in the USA

12th cenutry Melrose Abbey, five miles from my home. 2018
 
 
Road out of Earlston, 2018
 
 
 
 
 
                                     
          Granddaughter exploring this new world of snow for the first time in 2010.



                                                     
   ******************
 
Sepia Saturday gives bloggers an opportunity
to share their family history through photographs.
 
Zoom HERE to read  more stories  from Sepia Saturday bloggers. 
 
 


 
 

 






                                                        


14 comments:

  1. Enjoyed this post and especially the photos through the years!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank,you, Marion, for taking the time to send your kind comment.

      Delete
  2. Some great pix of snowy scenes. I love the first one of 1925 Selkirk looking so peacefully lovely in the snow. I missed a pic of your doggie romping in the snow? Was there supposed to be one? The ironic thing about the more recent freezing cold temperatures and snow we've been experiencing in the U.S. & Europe is that it is actually being caused by global warming - by something called the "polar vortex", and will be increasing as global warming continues. Interesting reading online. Go to:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/startswithabang/2019/01/30/this-is-why-global-warming-is-responsible-for-freezing-temperatures-across-the-usa/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gail, for your comment. Yes, I would like to have shown a picture of our dog “romping” but I could not get a good shot and her white fur just blended into the snowy background. I am sure she will feature another time in another placer!

      Delete
  3. Lovely snowy photos...I enjoyed seeing your family enjoying themselves...as well as the area where you're living covered in white. Of course it does stop everything in it's tracks (like those trains, pardon the pun.) We're due to just get an icy storm here, while further north will probably get snow...I think the same one that's frozen Texas for a couple of days. I'm always stocked up to weather a week's worth of not going anywhere. But I don't have batteries on the laptop any more, so will miss reading and writing blogs if we loose power.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank yiou once more Barbara, for your continued interest in my blog posts, yes we saw the unusual pictures on the TV of Texas. So good luck in escaping power cuts!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A snowy backdrop really brings out the beauty of trees and the architecture of bridges and churches. Other than that, I don't care for snow and ice. That summer snow photo reminded me of my trip to Sedona, Arizona several years ago. It was May, quite warm but comfortably so, and we were in summer clothes. Suddenly it started snowing. It didn't stick, but still it was a weird experience.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the beauty of a snowy day, especially while I sit inside sipping hot chocolate as I sit by a fire.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely wintery shots. Snow like that is beyond my imagination. We have had snow very rarely where we live in South Australia and only once where it actually covered the ground. Thank you for shating your family with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I lived in Iowa when I was a little girl and visited every other Christmas for many years. New fallen snow is magical, especially at night with the reflection of moonlight. But children don't usually have the worries or extra work of a snow event, just the fun of a romp in the snow and hope for a day off from school.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A perfect winter post. I remember a satellite photo from a few years ago showing the whole of the British Isles white with snow looking like Greenland. We've had such a variety of snow this winter from beautiful fluffy powder to ugly slush that I've decided the English language doesn't have enough words for the different types of snow.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lots of pictures to see, enjoying the winter scenes....

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those last four photos are lovely...particularly your granddaughter. I sympathize about the heavy snow years...we are currently in the midst of our 10th snowiest February in NYC history, with more due this week. However, I grew up in the northern part of New York State, so the cold doesn't bother me (as long as there is heat in the house!), which is why I identify with those happy snow pass-times you show here.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all, for sharing your many snowy memories.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.