.jump-link{ display:none }

Monday 6 January 2020

The Little Danson Sisters in 1911 - 52 Ancestors Wk 2.

"A Favourite Photo" is the theme of week 2 of "52 Ancestors in 52 Days, 2020" and the challenge is which photograph  to choose!

The two little girls at the front of this procession are my mother Kathleen Danson (right) and aunt Edith Danson on the left, taken c.1911 in Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancashire.  I think it was taken for an Empire Day parade, and my aunt recalled how the little boy behind the girls was Tommy Roskell whose uncle in Canada had sent the 
banner. 

[Empire Day was introduced in Britain on the 24th of May, 1902 to celebrate the bonds between the countries of the British Empir,    and to make people, particularly  childre,  more aware of this aspect of their heritage.  It was marked by concerts, the singing of patriotic songs, meetings, lectures, and parades across the country.  By the 1950s attitudes to the Empire had altered  and  the name was changed to  Commonwealth Day and became a much more muted event, marked largely in opffocial circles.]

In the photogrpah, my mother does not look too happy but I love the big hats, the little boots and frilly dresses the sisters wore. 

The sisters were born only one year and one week apart and remained very close all their lives, with aunt Edith also my godmother. 

 
 Taken c.1916 as my grandfather set out to war. 

 
 Both sisters regularly went out in nearby Blackpool, enjoying dances at the Winter Gardens and Tower Ballroom where my mother met my father.


 
Two happy sisters on holiday 

My parents' wedding in 1938, 
with my mother, Kathleen on the left and Edith,  her bridesmaid.  on the right.



My aunt became an infant  teacher and married for the first time in 1981 
at the age of 73 - here in blue with her husband George on the right, and left her brother and sister (my mother), Kathleen. 

                                                             *********** 

Join Amy Johnson's Crow
 Facebook Group  "Generations Cafe." 

to read posts from other bloggers taking part in the
2020  "52 Ancestors" Challenges.   

1 comment:

  1. What lovely photos of your mother and her sister. The first photo of them leading the parade is very sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.