.jump-link{ display:none }

Friday 9 August 2024

Postcards of Love from Flanders Field: Sepia Saturday


Continuing Sepia Saturday's August theme of "Postcards with Memories",
I look back on on my family treasures - the cards my grandfather William Danson (1885-1962) sent  from the battlefields of World War One to his wife Alice, at home with their four young children in Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancashire. 

This first card below was posted  on 7th February 1918,    and I like to think was sent to Alice for Valentine’s Day.



 
I never knew my grandmother who died when I was a baby.  Grandad was a taciturn countryman, who was working as a cattle man at the local auction mart when he was called up in 1916.  He was not given to flowery language, so the emotions expressed through these cards seemed out of character, but revealed his closeness to Alice.  In contrast the penciled  messages on the back were very prosaic.  
 
"Field Post Office - Feb. 7th 1918    
Dear Alice, received your letter allright.  I have landed back at the Batt and am in the pink.  I have had a letter from Jenny [sister] and am glad they have  heard from Tom [brother].  Your loving husband, Billy   XXX."
 
The "In the pink" phrase seemed to be a favourite term that William used in other messages as well. But not really I think, given the horror he must have witnessed.

"Batt" - I take it to mean the battalion.

"Blighty" in the address was used as   a nickname for Britain, or often specifically England.  It was first used by soldiers in the Indian army in the 19th century and was popularised in the First World War.  According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the word derives from "bilayati", a regional variant of the Urdu word " meaning "foreign", "British", "English" or "European." or "Anglo-Indian".

A "blighty wound" was a wound serious enough to  require recuperation away from the trenches, but not serious enough to kill or maim the victim - it was hoped for by many, and sometimes self-inflicted.
 

 
 
 

"Field Post Office 29 April 1918
Dear Alice, just a line to let you know I am in the pink and hope all at home is the same. There is nothing that I want.  Will write again shortly.  Your loving Billy, xxxx."
 
My aunt thought this was a very "risque" card, and totally unlike her father! 

William and Alice, c.1916 
 
 
William's family back home
Alice with Edith, Kathleen (my mother), Harry and baby Billy . c.1916  
 
Below cards sent by William to his children for their birthdays 
 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
A card sent to my mother for her birthday on September 8th.
 
"September 2nd 1917.    Dear Kathleen, I am sending you this card and hope you like it.  I  am well and  hope mother and baby is the same.  From your Dad."  

The armistice was signed 11th November 1918 and somehow I had the picture that all the troops immediately went home.  
 

But it was not the case. For the following two cards with pictures of Brussels were sent by William to his daughters in December 1918.
 
"24th December 1918.  Dear Edith, Just a card to let you know that I am in the best of health.  I am staying not far from the ?  that is on the card.  From her Dad XXXXXX"
 
 
"30th  December 1918.  Dear Kathleen,  I'm in the pink and hope mother and family are the same.  Will send a few more cards in a day or so.  From her Dad xxxxxx."
 
*******************
Postcript

             William and Alice, at my own parents' wedding in 1938.  
 
The Dansons at a family wedding in 1941 - Edith, Peggy, William, Alice,  Harry and Kathleen (my mother).  Peggy was born after the First World War.  Only missing  - son Billy, who was serving in the navy.
 
************
 
Sepia Saturday gives bloggers an opportunity
to share their family history through photographs.
 

 
 
Click HERE to see more Postcard Memories  from Sepia Saturday bloggers. 

**************************
 

7 comments:

  1. What a lovely post. And so much meaning to it. Thank you so much for sharing it with us. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those wonderful cards are so great to see...as well as following your family through your grandfather's writing on many of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous pictures. I love the phrase "in the pink." I should try to bring it back.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  4. A valuable family treasure, these postcards! Obviously, soldiers did not write about all the horrors they must have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are great little pieces of history! I absolutely love heirlooms/family treasures that are small and don't take up much space, along with serving dual purposes, such as family history documents as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kind comments, I was proud to share these family treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely post. You're so lucky to have these mementos.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.