.jump-link{ display:none }

Friday 23 August 2024

Nessie Welcomes Visitors to Scotland - Sepia Saturday

 
This week's prompt photograph from Sepia Saturday is of a cartoon postcard, and I have  just the one to make you smile when you read the message!

The Background:   In Scotland there is a well known story that Loch Ness, south of the Highland town of Inverness,   is inhabited by a mythical monster.  Popular interest and belief in the animal's existence have varied since it was first brought to the world's attention in 1933.  It is thought to be a large, long-necked serpentine water-beast with one or more humps rising from the water.

Free Scotland Loch Ness photo and picture 

Loch Ness

 Free Urquhart Castle Loch Ness photo and picture

 Castile Urquhart on the banks of Loch Ness.

The Facts:  Loch Ness  lies 23 miles south of Inverness and is Scotland's second largest loch  after Loch Lomond.  Its deepest point of  755 feet) makes  it the second deepest loch in Scotland and it holds more water than the lakes of England and Wales combined. 

The mystery of Nessie is a gift to tourism bosses  and it has continued for decades drawing visitors to the shores of Loch Ness.  

My role in the myth?    For I used to work for the Tourist Board in the Scottish Borders and we regularly gave visitors advice on routes to take in touring the country  - a favourite one was to  travel north up the east coast, visiting  Inverness and then heading back via Loch Ness and the Great Glen  to turn south down the west coast.

 Was I feeding tourists to the Monster?  

No - our  motto was "to wow the visitor" with a friendly, helpful welcome. 

 

My first role  in 1978 in Hawick Tourist Information Centre

Note  - no computer, an old fashioned telephone and no uniform - just a name badge.  I was working in the town's main car park, in  a portacabin with no electricity and you had to make use of the public toilets across the car park.   One year the season was extended  into October and I was given a calor gas light which terrified me.  I was so afraid I would knock it over and set the cabin alight.

 A promotion in 1985  to the largest and busiest centre in the Borders at Jedburgh -  purpose built as a gateway to Scotland centre,  just 14 miles north of the border with England. I was no longer working on my own there and I had a  company of colleagues who remain friends today.  Things had moved on a bit,  though we were not yet into the computer age.  We now had a stylish uniform - which echoed the fashion then for all things tartan.


It was never dull,  as we helped visitors get the most out of  of their holiday and the work was a source of many  humorous anecdotes. I loved this job - meeting people from all over the world, answering questions, preparing displays, promoting retail sales, and compiling fact sheets.  I was in my element!

I  hope my visitors returned safe from Nessie's clutches 

with happy memories of their holiday in Scotland.

****************

Sources:

  • Pixabay  for the  free images of Loch Ness
  • Wikipedia

************

Sepia Saturday gives bloggers an opportunity
               to share their family history through photographs

Click HERE to smile at more Cartoons  

From Sepia Saturday bloggers.

 

********************************

3 comments:

  1. Oh that beginning with a phone and nothing else in that "shack"! So glad that Nessie has been behaving herself. With all the chemicals in us human tourists these days, she probably prefers fish anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great 'come back' match to this week's prompt! :)) And working at a job you love is one of life's lovely rewards. I felt the same way about my job as receptionist for a local high school. Never a dull moment & lots of fun. Plus - besides showing folks how to enjoy their trip to Scotland you also researched the history of the area. If you hadn't, you and I would never have met! :))

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great choice for our theme! I can easily believe that millions of that Nessie cartoon postcard have been sold over the years. What great artists could boast of even a fraction of that number of patrons! I've often wondered if Nessie might be a seasonal waterfowl, a loon or other diving bird with a long neck, which was blown off-course from its migratory route by a storm. On my recent trip to Nova Scotia I mistook several birds for seals and a few sunken rocks for whales. The world is full of imaginary wonders.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.