.jump-link{ display:none }

Friday 28 June 2024

Joining the Crowds at The Antique Roadshow - Sepia Saturday

It is the final week of June's "Crowds" theme for the Sepia Saturday blog posts and I look back some years when, with daughter and granddaughter,   we were part of the crowd attending BBC's popular programme  Antiques Roadshow, filming at Floors  Castle, Kelso near my home ein the Scottish Borders.  

 If you are taking treasures, you need to be prepared  to have a long wait as we edged slowly towards the central point to reveal our items  and receive our tickets (free) to meet the appropriate  expert. 

Just a small part of the long, long queue.  If you were just going to view and have a browse  around, you got straight through. 
 
 

Showing my World War One family memorabilia to the Military expert , with granddaughter looking on.

The treasures I took:

The presentation trowel and silver baton presented  i on the occasion of laying the foundation stones for a new church,to my great great grandfather, John Matthews  (1843-1918)  in honour of his role as choirmaster.
    •  
     
     
     
     
    The tiny inscription reads:  Presented to John Matthews by the Choir and Congregation of Wesleyan Chapel, Ladymoor:  28.11.04.
     

    To hold the baton used by my great grandfather was a delight to me, as the love of choral music  has continued down through the family.   (Of course my small granddaughter thought it was Harry Potter's wand

      
The inscription reads:   Ladymore Wesleyan Chapel Stonelaying Ceremony.   Presented to Mr. J. Matthews April 7th 1903.  
 
  
It was good to get a full description of my great grandfather's presentation items - Moroccan leather boxes, gold beading, brass clasps, silk lining, and velvet fitments - a quality gift which reflected the respect for my great grandfather's contribution  to church life.   
 
 
The First World War Memorabilia  from my mother's Danson family.   My grandfather William Danson (1885-1962)  and four of his brothers fought, with two not surviving the conflict.    Below are a few of the items that are part of a much a larger collection, that I have written about on my blog.
 
 
  •    William Danson  (my grandfather) who was awarded 
    the Military Medal for gallantry. 
     
    Below some of the many cards that William sent home to his family. 
              
     

      Grandad was a taciturn country man who never spoke about the war, but these cards reflected his love for his family.

     
   
                             
It was gratifying to hear the kind comments on the way I had presented my WW1 cards and documents, and to hear that my grandfather's medal citation was rare, as apparently these do not often survive.

**********
Despite the time spent queuing, it was a great day in a beautiful setting,  - and even the sun came out!   Everyone was so good-natured, friendly and patient.  We enjoyed seeing the experts and presenter Fiona Bruce and  the cameras in action.   The organisation and logistics of the event were impressive. What stood out for me was the time and information  that the two experts I saw gave to me and the interest they showed.  

And no - I wasn't picked to be filmed and interviewed, though we were standing in the queue right by where Fiona Bruce was doing a piece to camera   -  but we never appeared on the broadcast programme!


                  
The crowds in front of the castle.

 


                                                                    ********** 

Postscript :  I am pleased to say the programme is returning to film in the Scottish Borders next week at nearby Thirlestane Castle.  We will be there with fresh famiy memorabilia.  So watch this space for a further account on The Antiques Roadshow.
 
 
Copyright © 2024 Susan Donaldson.  All Rights Reserved
 
 
**************************
 
Sepia Saturday gives bloggers an opportunity to share 
their family history and memories through photographs


                      Click  HERE to see how other bloggers have enjoyed the crowds
 
 
 
***************************

2 comments:

  1. That's very exciting, Sue! As a long time reader of your blog I remember the stories behind your family ephemera and know how much they are treasured, but it was wonderful that you were rewarded by an expert's evaluation too. The presentation trowel is a marvelous quirky thing that must have been fun for the silversmith to make. Did it ever actually touch cement? From my experience such tools quickly succumb to the corrosive nature of mortar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those WWI artifacts are fascinating. The experience of participating in Antique Roadshow sounds priceless.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.