.jump-link{ display:none }

Friday 2 February 2024

Fun by Water - Sepia Saturday

February is Fun is the theme for this month's Sepia  Saturday  posts, with the prompt image showing a group of girls having great fun in water.  In Scotland there is not too much opportunity for it to be warm enough  for that,  so I have gone  for the next best aspect  - Fun BY Water i.e. at  the seaside. 

On the left, wearing the cloche hat is my husband's Great Aunt Pat, beside her daughter Annette - with unknown friends. Judging by the fashions and the age of Annette,  it  was most likely  taken in the late 1920's  on the beach at Margate in Kent,  where the family lived.

 

 I was born in Blackpool, Lancashire  on the north west coast of England,   Here - the earliest picture of me enjoying the beach.  I reckon this was taken June 1945, as my father here was in uniform.   I know that he had leave between marking VE Day in Germany and then being posted to the Far East where the war with Japan was ongoing. 

                                 

Toddling along with Daddy - on an unusually quiet beach. 

Our own family holidays were taken in Bournemouth on the south coast of England, where a great friend of my mother ran a small hotel. All the ingredients of  traditional 1950's seaside fun were there - setting up deckchairs, playing  on the beach, making sandcastles, eating icecreams  taking donkey rides, exploring rock pools. 

  With my mother.  Every summer she made me a new sun dress and I remember this one in green & white p'polka dots with the bolero. 


  

It must be a photographic quirk that Dad appears so sunburnt in the photograph above, because he did not lead a particularly outdoor life to get that brown. 


More fun on the beach - my brother in that fetching knitted playsuit - and myself 
 

 
Digging holes with my brother.    You can tell this must be the 1950’s - those were the days before the anti-smoking  campaigns and  my father is happy to enjoy his cigarette, long before he ditched the habit.  Goodness knows why I  was I wearing a hated rubber swimming cap, as I could barely swim at this stage?    I suppose to keep dry my long hair which was  usually in plaits.   
 
 
I can remember  when the weather was miserable, and Dad took us onto the beach where we had fun making shelters out of the deckchairs. Or we took a walk along the cliff tops - the Chimes, and collected pine cones to take home and decorate for Christmas. 

On duller days too, we walked along the promenade for an ice cream or went into the park  and played in the stream that ran through it - the usual result was my brother fell in the water and my mother knew always to take spare clothing.  At night the trees in the park were decorated with fairy lights that made it magical.  My abiding memory was of one of a happy family time.



 **********

 
Fast forward tot he 1960s when I spent  a year working in the USA at  Cambridge, Mass., with time to  relax on Nantucket Island   - this was the life!  

 
  In September 1966,  returned home from a year's working in the USA, travelling aboard the Cunard liner "Sylvania" from New York, calling at Boston and Cobh, Ireland,  before reaching Liverpool.  The ship, small by today's cruise ship standards, was very quiet and I was lucky to get a cramped 4 berth cabin all to myself.  Goodness knows how four of us could manage in the space  short of perching on our bunk bed.  Commercial jet planes services  were hitting the transatlantic  scheduled shipping and the Liverpool-New York sailings were axed in November after my return.   But I enjoyed this experience  and had my first glimpse   of Ireland with dawn over Cobh.
 

*********
 
My daughter  (in the middle) enjoying a donkey ride on Blackpool beach. This was taken in Blackpool in the school  October half term holiday, so not exactly summery. 
 
**************
 

Husband with our second cocker spaniel, Coleen on the beach at Beadnell, in Northumberland.

We are still laughing, despite a gale blowing as  we shelter from the sea on the Atlantic coast  on the  Isle of Iona of the west coast of Scotland with our last pet Casmir.
 
 
Here is my daughter on a beach which we had to ourselves 
 on the Isle of Iona July 2016.

 Our dog enjoying the water on Mull, with the ferry to Iona in the background. 

All Happy Memories of Having Fun!


************************

 
 
Sepia Saturday give bloggers an opportunity to share their family history and memories  through photographs

 
 
Click HERE to see how othe Sepia Saturday bloggers
have taken up this week's theme.
 
 
 

5 comments:

  1. A wonderful post with so many wonderful pictures of, obviously, wonderful memories! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many great beach photos. I think the one with the donkeys is my favorite. I've never seen donkeys at the beach.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful. I can't decided which is my favourite photos. I love the one of your father in uniform but I think that the one of you both running along the beach is precious. The way that you are looking at each other is priceless xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great memories are often stored in little snapshots. My first encounter with Britain's "beaches" was along a shingle seashore of the Channel. I'd never seen that kind of stony beach before and it was a struggle to walk any distance. I've since become very fond of the variety of coastlines in the British Isles, from black mud to white sands and every kind of gravely material in between. I always bring back souvenir stones, especially the ones worn spherical or with holes drilled through by tiny pebbles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such amazing photos I hardly know where to begin -- not to mention your beach adventures narrative. I was surprised to see the photo of your dad in uniform. How fortunate he was to get home on leave, unlike the U.S. service members who were away from home for the duration. And I laughed out loud of your comment about the rubber swim cap! How I remember the pain of getting one's hair stuck in those :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.