.jump-link{ display:none }

Friday 27 October 2023

Head, Hairstyles and & Shoulders on Show - Sepia Saturday

Continuing this month's Sepia Saturday theme of  "Portraits" I  focus  on heads & shoulders, with  the emphasis on hairstyles. down the decades.

         
My paternal grandmother  Mary Barbara Weston, nee Matthews (1876-1959) 
 
Nana was born in Wolverhampton in the English Midlands, one of 10 children born to John Matthews and Matilda Such.    Her sister Fanny died tragically when her apron caught fire whilst she was carrying a candle, and she died from her burns.  Brother Arthur died in the First World War at Gallipoli,  leaving a young widow and 3 children. 
 
Her hairstyle is typical of the  1880s and 1890s.  
 
My other grandmother Alice Danson, nee English (1884-1945)   
 
I never  knew Alice and she remains my major brick wall as I have been unable to trace  her birth certificate and find out the name of her mother  This photographs is part of a large family photogaph taken in 1916 as my grandfather was setting out to war.  
 
 Again her plain no nonsense hairstyle was typical of the times.
 
The impact on the First World War on the changing role of  women saw an abandonment of the  traditional long hair styles of the Victorian - Esdwardian  period to the new short styles of the bob, finger-wave, Marvel wave, shingle and Eton crop, with their popularity continuing well into the 1930's. 



My great aunt Jennie Danson (1987-  who sacrificed her long plait for the new look, without telling her mother.  This is one of my favoutie photographs in my family collection. Jennie by all accounts was a feisty woman  - she needed to be to hold her own, growing up with eight older brothers whose ages when she was born ranged from 3 to 20. 
 
 An elegant unidentified portrait in my husband's collection - thought to be a relation of his aunt Annette.   
 
 
My mother Kathleen Danson - Jennie's niece.

My mother again - with more waves this time

In the 1930''s and 1940's,   a  softer look crept in, with curls and waves all the rage, and during the war the "roll" was the defining style.  This was the age of trying to emulate  Hollywood glamour, despite the realities  of life during the  depression and war 



  
My mother  - Kathleen Danson    

           

My aunt Edith Danson
   



Another new look for my mother who seems to have adopted an Austrian style, with what looks like  braids over  her head.  She was always very proud of her distinctive widow's peak.  

Below some typical 1940s looks from my aunt Peggy Danson (in WAAF uniform), my mother and finally  my husband's elegant aunt Annette.



Pigtails to Pony Tails  to Perms characterised  my look from the  1950s onwards.

 
 Pigtails complete with kirby grips and ribbons.  

On village gala days and on special occasions, my hair was wound into rags overnight  to hopefully create ringlets - which soon fell out.  

By my early teens my hair was long and worn now in a pony tail. It was washed with a final rinse of  vinegar and rain water - my mother's idea of a beauty treatment -  and it took ages to dry in front of the fire as we had no hair dryer.

 I became a librarian, so had to work hard at counteracting the traditional dowdy image.  So here (below)  is the young professional look for my first job - worn with a   mini length sweater dress  and long necklace  - all the rage then.  
 
 
 
The image above is a rare look, where I spruced myself for a photograph taken for a work's annual report.  You can tell it is the 1980s  and the age of TV's Dallas, Dynasty and Charlie's Angels,  with big hair and shoulder pads all the rage.   Less glamorously, I was also likened to Deidre Barlow of "Coronation Street" soap opera fame.  The big specs did it!   This style involved too much like hard work and did not last long.   
 
More my current tyle below
 


Copyright © 2023· Susan Donaldson.  All Rights Reserved
 
*****************

 
Sepia Saturday give bloggers an opportunity to share their family history and memories  through photographs.
 

 
Click HERE to see how other Sepia Saturday bloggers
have taken up this week's theme.
 
 
*******************
 
 
 

 

6 comments:

  1. A great group of portraits showing the different hairstyles down through the ages! Like you, like most of us when younger - and in particular, single, I had hairstyles that required wearing curlers to bed at night & back-combing & brushing & arranging in the morning before going off to work. It was fine then. But when I married & had children, my hairstyles quickly became much more simplified. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I wore curlers to bed - until I was married when it seemed very unromantic. It Mrs the I had raptor get up esrlier and put them in before breakfast and hope they would do the trick before I went to work. I never went back to curlers. (Scotsue)

      Delete
  2. Great choices of hairstyles. I know many grandchildren (mostly female) when ages 11-20 seem to like long hair with a center part. It was also popular in the 70s. Saved the money of going to a stylist too, and we (yes I was one) could pin it up in different ways when we wanted (beyond ponytails).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was a great idea to feature female portraits and hairstyles from your family. I've often wondered what societal forces influenced the change of personal fashions like hair. Women, of course, have always paid attention to hair, but men have their hirsute history too. The clues in a mustache for instance can identify nationality and time period. But after 1918 it gets blurry.

    In regards to your blocked comments on other blogs, this is what works for me. On your regular browser, go to your Google account and sign-out. In the browser Privacy & Security settings clear the cookie cache. Restart the browser and sign-in to Google again. (You probably will have to sign-in for other websites too.) Hope this fixes it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post. I'm still struggling to date some photos in my collection by hairstyle - but one does learn a bit along the way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your kind comments and to Mike for your advice on my commenting problem. I am not very IT savvy but will give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.