.jump-link{ display:none }

Saturday 13 May 2023

Hats Through the Decades - Sepia Saturday

 "Hats" is the theme of this week's Sepia Saturday prompt photograph - no shortage of a match from my collection,  beginning with grand floral fancy hats from the early 1900s worn by my cousin's ancestors in Blackpool, Lancashire.




  Onto the 1920s and 1930s  for some further  fashions in hats.


My husband's great aunt Pat King, nee Hibbert, on the beach with her little daughter Annette, born in 1919. 

My husband's parents Ivy White and John Robert Donaldson of South Shields, County Durham.  They married in 1929. 

 

 My great aunt Jennie Danson in 1929 in the fashionable cloche hat.

My mother, Kathleen Danson in the 1930s

 1950's-1960's 

 Most of these photographs date from the 1960's,  when my mother and husband's mother  would have been 60 years old.   At a time when fashion was changing rapidly   and I was wearing mini skirts, the older generation still  wore  for everyday occasions hats that  we now reserve for formal wear.  Turbans seemed to be the main fashion style here. 
 

For a visit to the Zoo 

For a summer outing

For a visit to the Botanical Gardens in Edinburgh


For my graduation IN 1965 - so more of a formal occasion


 For a Sunday afternoon run in the car 


Meanwhile  for me, hats were purely practical - for keeping warm in winter and providing shade in (hot) summers.  



 ************

Sepia Saturday gives bloggers an opportunity to share their family history through photographs

Click  HERE to find out what other bloggers have found
in this week's prompt photograph.  
 
 
*********************



13 comments:

  1. Quite a bevy of hats here! We have a real fashion parade today on Sepia Saturday. Like you I have only worn hats for warmth and to keep the sun off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice variety of the different styles from one decade to the next. Some of those fancy hats worn by your cousin's ancestors were quite wild with decoration and right in with the fashion of the day. Although they were different style hats, I smiled at your mother and mine both wearing their hats tilted to the side. Obviously a '30s thing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great hats, especially the old ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely. I neglected to included any cloche hats and interesting that Australian fashion was similar. I would have thought that we would be behind.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful to see all these hats on women. And when I think back to pre-beauty-parlor days, a woman with a lot of hair would not have it washed and styled that often. But pile it up and stick a hat on her head, and she was good to go!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These hats are wonderful. I'm partial to the 1950s-60s hats, which I remember wearing and seeing on my female relatives. But the earlier cloche hats were great, too. What I could never see myself wearing were the flower-adorned big hats. I'm with you -- mainly knits these days.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another great collection. Alan may not participate much anymore, but he is pretty good at picking themes that match our blogger collections. I marvel at the size of women's hats in the 19th/early 20th century. It seems they would require very large boxes for storage and I can't imagine how they were stowed for travel. Perhaps the change to softer materials in hats was influenced by the inconvenience of trying to take the big ones on holidays.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gosh. Those early big ladies' hats must have been almost as hard to balance on your head as a heavy royal crown... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved seeing the old hats. I remember my grandmother always wore one, but my Mom didn't except to church services on Easter. It's really nice you have so many family photo's.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fabulous hats. You have a great collection of photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you all for your lovely comments and for sharing your own fashion parade in hats - this has proved a popular topic - and a fun one!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.