.jump-link{ display:none }

Saturday 18 March 2023

Smiling in Happiness: Sepia Saturday

What do we do when  people smile at us?  We smile back!  

So enjoy these photographs of families enjoying themselves - my response to this week's Sepia Satturday's  prompt photograph of a laughing couple perched on a wall. 

1971 - I am newly engaged and very happy.  Here I am perched on the bonnet of my husband's car.  He never allowed it again,  but very thoughtfully protected both me and the car with a tartan blanket.  You can tell this was the  era of mini-skirts .

 
My husband was a fan of  "The Simpsons" on TV and here is  showing his pleasure at a Chritmas present - a Simpsons  Tshirt .  I don't think he ever wore it - not his style at all.  
 
At a happy family occasion in 1992 - celebrating my father's 90th birthday.

Mother and daughter 1971

                    

 Two happy photographs of my mother Kathleen and her sister Edith (Danson).   The sisters remained close all their lives.  They both    enjoyed fashion, and made their own clothes on a treadle machine (their house did not have electricity until 1958) and regularly went dancing at the Winter Gardens, and the Tower Ballrooms in Blackpool - where my mother met my father.

Still smiling - Kathleen and Edith in 1981. 


Smiling still, even in wartime - my father and my aunt Peggy. the youngest of the three Danson sisters 

 

                                


My happy daughter  c.1976  in a red knitted tank top (all the rage then), knitted by my Aunt Edith.

                         Grandaughter smiling in the kitchen   - ready to help! 

 

Happy schooldays - Me


And if you cannot be smiling on your wedding day, when can you?

***************** 

Sepia Saturday  gives bloggers an opportunity
   to share their family history through photograph

 

Click HERE
 to read more tales  from other  Sepia Saturday bloggers
 
 
********************************

4 comments:

  1. What a happy family...through the generations! I love seeing the mini skirt! What fun we had, making sure to cover what we could. I always love to see the outfits your mother and her sister designed for themselves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful happy photos of happy people! Way to go and a fine match to the prompt. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed that they made such clothes on a treadle machine. But then again that was easier than all by hand, I guess. Those mini skirts! Looking at them now, mine look like they should be blouses. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've chosen a wonderful collection of smiling people. I enjoyed the three photos of your mother and her sister. They confirm a theory I have that once people learn that special smile for the camera it repeats in photos for the rest of their lives. I think it often begins at an early age and I bet you could find more matching smiles in photos of your daughter and granddaughter when they are older. Your happy smile certainly fits that theory.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.