.jump-link{ display:none }

Saturday 12 March 2022

Three’s Company: Sepia Saturday

This week’s Sepia Saturday prompt image shows a mother and her two daughters, all dressed in a similar\r style.  My response is obvious - a look at family & friends in threesomes.
 
THREE SISTERS

 

A photograph from my great aunt Jennie's collection, identified on the back as Amy, Edna and Lavinia Dodd, Todmorden, West Yorkshire.

Jennie's youngest brother George had enlisted  January 1916 at Todmorden, West Yorkshire.  His army service record gave his   address at the time as  17 Harker Street, Harley Bank,  Todmorden, with his occupation station bookstall manager. 

I turned to the 1911 census online  and found the Dodd family at  17 Harker Street, Harley Bank,  Todmorden, with head of household Elizabeth Dodd (occupation choring) and three daughters Amy aged 15 (a cotton weaver) , Edna 12 (a fustian sewer)  and Lavinia  aged 9.  I guess they would never meet  George again, as he was killed on the Somme in  September 1916, a week after his 22nd birthday.  
 
 
 THREE SIBLINGS
 
Florence Annie (born 1894),  Lily (born 1886)  and William (born 1891)  - 
children of Henry Bailey and Annie McAffray of Blackpool, Lancashire 

This charming photograph is  one of the oldest  in my family collection and comes from my third cousin.   Elizabeth Danson, the  mother of Henry Bailey above,  was  the eldest sister  of my great grandfather James Danson.   Henry, a stone mason, died at the age of 41 in 1903, leaving his young family fatherless.  
 

THREE GENERATIONS

 My great grandmother Maria Danson, nee Rawcliffe (1859-1919)
with her daughter Jennie (my great aunt)  and little granddaughter Annie - c. 1909. 


Jennie was the only daughter and last child of James and Maria Danson, born on Christmas Eve, December 24th 1897, with her eight (surviving)  brothers,  George then aged 3, Frank 5, Albert 7, Tom 9, William 12, Robert 16, John 18 and Harry 20 – quite a household in what looked like  a cramped terraced house.  Their father James died in 1906. 

Jennie's photograph collection forms the basis of much of my family history and even better she had identified the names on the back of most of the photos.   

Little Annie,  the daughter of second son John Danson and Sarah Haydon Lounds, was born 1905, but sadly Sarah died a year later and the infant Annie made her home with her grandmother, her many uncles and  her aunt Jennie, who was only eight years her senior. Further tragedy struck when Annie's  father John died in army camp in 1917. leaving Annie an orphan. 

THREE SOLEMN CHILDREN
Tom, Janie and Jack Riley, the grandchildren of  Jane Riley, nee Rawcliffe, c.1913  
 
 

My cousin's father in his little Lord Fountleroy outfit - Arthur Smith, born 1908 in Blackpool, Lancashire, with his sisters Ella and Edith



THREE'S COMPANY

 
 My grandfather William Danson is in the middle of the group,  with his brother Robert (and dog) on the left  plus an unknown friend.  Robert was the third son of the family, and William  the fifth  out of ten sons (eight surviving infancy), followed by the only daughter Jennie
 
 
  THREE ON A ROCK
My parents, though I suspect this was taken prior to their marriage in 1938, with Mum (Kathleen Danson) on the left and Dad (John Weston) on the right  - plus an unidentified friend.

A  FAREWELL TRIO 
 
 My father in RAF uniform, with my mother on the right and her sister, my Aunt Edith on Dad's left - taken in the garden of my grandfather's house, c.1940.


THREE IN A ROW

My father on the left  & his older brother Fred - whilst I am the little girl, looking none  too happy. 
 

A PROUD TRIO


A windy day for my graduation, Edinburgh 1965. 

 

THREE MORE GENERATIONS 

 

With my mother and my daughter, 1981

 

 BACK TO THREE HAPPY HOLIDAYMAKERS
 
 My brother and I,  with our father on a busy promenade in Bournemouth, c.1952  


AND THE FAMILY TRIO 45 YEARS ON........


 *************

 Sepia Saturday gives bloggers an opportunity
  to share their family history through photographs  


 
 
Click HERE to read posts  from other Sepia Saturday bloggers.
 
 
Copyright © 2022 · Susan Donaldson.  All Rights Reserved


6 comments:

  1. A wonderful set of photos leading us down the line in ancestry. Neat post! And how lucky you are to have those earlier pictures especially. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed seeing these various trios...a fitting match to this week's theme.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great collection of family photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. An excellent assortment of family trios. It's funny how many of your family photos I remember seeing before. I think I recognize more of my blogger friends' family faces better than my own ancestors! |:—(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recognize some of these too. It's nice to follow the families through the years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW, wonderful family photo's that tell a story. How nice your photo's were identified. So many aren't. I've run into that while doing my history. I love doing genealogy, sounds like you do as well. I've also worked on my husbands side of the family. I go in spurts. Older pictures have such a nice vib.
    Good luck with your research. It's been a long time since we've visited each others blogs, thought I'd pop in and hope you'll do the same.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.