.jump-link{ display:none }

Friday 9 July 2021

Hats off to the Ladies : Sepia Saturday

This week's Sepia Saturday prompt photograph features an elegant lady in pearls, fox fur and wearing a large hat.    There is no shortage of large hats  among my extended family.  

1910s-20s

 An elegant portrait of Sarah Alice Oldham on her wedding to George Butler in Blackpool, Lancashire  and what a showy outfit, magnificently decorated large hat, and a large posy set off by  long broad ribbons!      Sarah came from a family of carters and coal-men down three generations and George also worked in the business.  


This charming photograph is of Sarah's sister, Beatrice Oldham who married Jack Clark in Blackpool, Lancashire  on 26th December 1919. I feel the significance of the date after the First World War is not lost in this photograph,  where there is a certain air of informality and lack of ostentation,  with a large, but plain hat and a shorter skirt and the groom carrying a trilby hat.   It contrasts with the very formal opulent dress style  at Sarah's wedding nine years earlier in 1910. 

More large  hats were worn (above)  by Mary Jane Oldham, nee Bailey and her sister-in-law Sarah Butler, nee Oldham.    Mary Jane Bailey  and my grandfather William Danson were cousins.   Below is another creation worn by Sarah's other sister Edith. 



 
 
My husband's great aunt Pat King, nee Hibbert, on the beach with her little daughter Annette, born in 1919.
 
 

"A lady always wears  a hat" - an unidentified photograph in my great aunt Jennie's collection of a group of friends on an outing - but don't  they look glum!

A Happy Occasion!   The formal engagement photograph of my husband's parents,  Ivy White and John Robert Donaldson of South Shields, County Durham.  They married in 1929. 
 
 
1930's-40's 
Hats, gloves and fox furs were the fashion!  Hats were generally small, but often embellished with decorative bows or feathers. Fox furs were the aspirational accessory for many women from an ordinary background and are proudly worn here by members of my extended family.  I remember my mother keeping hers wrapped in tissue paper  in a box in her wardrobe  I didn''t like touching it - those beady eyes in the head were unnerving. 
 
 
 My mother Kathleen Danson with her sister - my Aunt Edith.  Is that a fox fur my mother is  wearing and can I glimpse a necklace?  

 
My grandmother Alice Danson, nee English
 


My husband's mother - Ivy Donaldson, nee White


But wearing big hats began at a young age:
 
From the American branch of my mother's family -  young Florence Mason, with her father c.1906.  Born 1898 in Brooklyn, New York,  she was the youngest of a large family of eleven, eight  surviving infancy.

 
My mother Kathleen Danson, c.1911 taking part in a parade in Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancashire.  She does not look too happy in her little bootees, frilly white dress and large hat - but so adorable!

                                    ******************                                     
      
What if you were looking to buy a hat?  Here is an advertisement from my local paper "The Earlston Comet"  of 1891.  On the High Street, David Wallace, draper and clothier promised:
"An Immense and Magnificent Collection of every New and Fashionable  Dress Material....which for Variety, Superior Quality, Good Taste and Moderate Prices is unequaled in Earlston.

Tweeds in Cheviot, Homespun, Harris and Grampian makes, latest styles and newest mixtures, Black materials in great variety.
The latest novelties in Millinery, Flowers, Feathers etc.  Bonnets composed of Velvet and Jet, from 10s.6d to 25s.  The latest novelty in hats is Gladys in French Beaver, trimmed with Feathers.  All orders for this Department made up in the most Fashionable and Tasteful Manner." 
Note the reference to "black materials" - at a time when formal mourning wear was still the custom.  Somehow the name "Gladys" does not quite conjure up an image of a French beaver hat with feathers!
*******************

Sepia Saturday gives an opportunity for genealogy bloggers  
to share their family history and memories through photographs
 
 Click HERE to see other fashionable ladies on this week's Sepia Saturday blog  
 

 

10 comments:

  1. A fine display of hats of all sizes, shapes, and designs. One thing I found interesting is that Edith Oldham, in her portrait, is wearing her sister, Sarah's, wedding dress. Being one of 3 sisters, I know how things get passed down from one to the next in line. Luckily, I was the oldest, so most of my things eventually passed down the line were new for me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gail, for the reminding me about Edith wearing her older sister's dress. I did realise this some years ago, but completely forgot about it when I came to write this post.

      Delete
  2. I love this theme and how you’ve shown such variety. Those friends sure don’t look like they’re having fun - or even if they like each other much. Time to dust off Sepia Saturday for me and getting blogging..thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to ear from you again, Pauleen and I look forward to reading more posts from you.

      Delete
  3. I love how you arranged photos by decade. I have NO photos - ZERO - of women in those really big hats. I need to adopt your ancestors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done. A fascinating variety of hat fashions. My first thought was how challenging big hats were for a photographer. Both their size and their shade over the face were important factors in setting an acceptable pose. My second thought was how many early photos of married couples like yours imply traveling for a trip rather than showing a wedding fashion. I wonder if they were taken before or after the actual ceremony.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike - I always appreciate your thoughtful comments. Somehow, knowing the background of my ancestors I don't think the wedding photographs implied "travelling for a trip".

      Delete
  5. Very cool collection of hatted damsels/dames. I think they had a good thing going, though I do remember how hard it was to see from sitting behind hatted ladies at performances or church.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Barbara, for your continued interest in my blog. Yes, like you I would not want to sit behind those large hats at an event.

      Delete
  6. I absolutely love this collection of hat photos -- so grand and beautiful they were, back in the day. I agree with you about the contrast between the first two photos -- how the war changed so much, even in civilian life. As for the fox furs, I remember kneeling in church as a child behind many a woman wearing one and staring into those little fox eyes during the service. Unnerving indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.