.jump-link{ display:none }

Wednesday 21 April 2021

R for Reality, Regulations, Reflection & Relaxation : A-Z Scottish Borders in Lockdown

A-Z Blogging Challenge 2021   - Scottish Borders in Lockdown   

Recording My Everyday Life - A Picture for Future Generations

 

REALITY - At the start of the pandemic,   I must admit I was a wee bit complacent,  I thought we would be safe living where we do, and we were rarely out   in crowded places.

Lockdown  was almost an adventure, a challenge, a change from the norm.  I made my “to do” list and was in some ways looking forward to having more time at home, rather than rushing out to the organisations I was involved with locally. I had every confidence that I would cope with the situation.  

But then the cases escalated beyond anything I could have imagined, and in instead of a, say, six weeks lockdown, we were in for the long haul.   

 Covid-19, Virus, Coronavirus, Pandemic

 Image courtesy of Pixabay

I have been lucky to escape the harsh REALITIES  of Covid - I have not experiecned first hand the graphic scenes on  of TV hospital coverage of patients and health staff working  under immeasurable pressures;   I had no loved ones,  isolated in care homes from seeing family;  I have not been myself isolated from my immediate family;  I have not been living alone, without a computer, with no-one to exchange conversations on the minutiae of daily life;  and  with being retired without a mortgage, we were cushioned against the financial and emloyment fallout.   

 REGULATIONS    I outlined the key factors for our life under Lockdown under the letter L, and from my own point of view, they were easy to keep and people in our village seemed to be observing them. It  was noticeably quieter out and about. Buses that passed through the village had next to no passengers. 

But  it was not always easy to keep up to date with the changing dictates, with the four countries of the UK moving at their own pace e.g. how many people were allowed to meet out of doors from how many household?   - that kept changing.  

It  was disturbing  to see on TV and read in the press of the numbers flouting the  rules, with parties, gatherings on beaches and in parks, with police having to break these up and impose fixed financial penalties - never mind the resulting litter left behind that someone else  had to clear up.  

REFLECTION  - March 23rd 2020 marked the announcement of the first Lockdown in the UK,   when we were asked "to stay home,  stay safe and protect our NHS" . as the Coronavirus (Covid 19) pandemic swept across the globe. 

 A year on after more Lockdowns,  Mach 23rd 2021  was a national day of reflection to remember all those who had died and had suffered, with a 2 minute silence observed at 12 noon, and people asked to stand in the doorsteps at 8pm with a light to shine on the world. 

On a personal note, there was no question,  body and have survived - though I have had, like so many others,  my "down days" and "fed up moments"  at the lack of variety in life.   

RELAXATION -  in mid April 2021, things are looking up as we are being allowed more freedom. I get my hair cut tomorrow  - first time since December (hurray)!  and have met  four friends  for an outdoors  garden gathering  - no indoor visits yet allowed.   I cannot wait to do some browsing around non-essential shops (opening next week)  and have a meal out.  Plus the sun is shining and we have had little sign of April showers.  


Life is getting better - let us enjoy it whilst we can.


********

ONTO S FOR SHOPPING, SLOGANS & STATISTICS.

 
#AtoZChallenge 2021 badge

 

 

5 comments:

  1. My reality has been moderate compared to the UK and many others but with a very elderly mother in Aged Care there have been additional concerns and responsibilities. Also our closest family member is 80kms (1.5hrs away) and has been in lockdown more often than us. Two other families incl grandchildren are a 4 hour flight away and we’ve seen them once since Feb 2020. We’ve have zoom for genealogy meetings and phone calls with family and friends. We have seen lots of businesses close as we live in a tourist area.
    Regulations have been fairly well complied with by most people. And we have been fortunate to be able to have small numbers of visitors throughout. Shopping doesn’t really interest me so I don’t miss that much but I did miss my monthly pedicure last year ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Regulations varied not only from state to state here, but county to county. It was hard to keep track of what was what and what you were supposed to do in different places.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Like Pauleen, my reality is also more moderate. Over the winter, we were back to "essential trips only" -- but now that the infection rate is down again we can go to non-essential stores whenever we want (being mindful of distancing, queues, etc.). What I miss most is traveling to visit family -- perhaps this summer of the contagion rate stays low. https://mollyscanopy.com/2021/04/rock-n-roll-djs-my-brief-crush-on-jack-rose/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for sharing your own experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Sue - oh I do enjoy a good browse although perhaps not as much as before as now money is tight. I crave variety but have been amazed at how I have adapted to the quieter life. We are a very compliant mob in Australia by and large which is kind of odd because I think we have been known to "buck the system" in the past. But I think we know greater things are at stake here. I didn't know about your day of reflection.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.