.jump-link{ display:none }

Sunday 4 April 2021

D is for Diaries, the Domestic Scene & De-cluttering: A-Z Challenge 2021

SCOTTISH BORDERS IN LOCKDOWN -   A-Z Blogging Challenge 2021  
Recording My Everyday Life - A Picture for Future Generations
 

DIARIES  How many of us are keeping a diary of this most momentous time we have probably experienced in our lives?  Family historians are good at researching the past or even writing about their own childhood memories - but what about the present?  I would love  to have found a diary written by an ancestor.

So some years ago I set up a  "Journal Jottings"    a blog to record my everyday life.  I enjoyed writing it but as we came to the end of the first year, I called a halt  -  my life wasn't that eventful to repeat , and the page views were pitiful despite some loyal readers.  It was also limiting as I did not wish to get inveigled in any controversial topics in the news etc.  

So I abandoned it and instead set up "Random Ramblings" (you can tell I like alliteration!) as an ongoing  Word document which I print off & file.  Admittedly a handwritten journal would have more appeal to anyone later finding it - but not when they saw the poor state of my writing nowadays. 


Diary, Pen, Hygge, Journal

In choosing my topic for this  challenge, I was reminded of the  Mass Observation Project of World War Two where people from all walks of life across Britain volunteered  to record their everyday life on the Home Front, their hopes and their fears.  "The result is an intimate portrait of British life that is also completely individual."  

British viewers might remember a TV drama starring  Victoria Wood  based on one such diary of a 1940's housewife whose typically boring life centred around the domestic tasks, but who blossomed as she got involved in volunteering work during the war - it was not all  plain sailing as she encountered the snobbery aspects of the British class system.     It was at times a poignant story, as the end of the war meant a reluctant return to her former life,  based on domesticity. 

 
THE DOMESTIC SCENE
There have been mornings when we have woken up and had to think hard what day it was - they all run together the same, We have been known to put the wheelie bin out on the wrong day, because we got mixed up with the days.  I suddenly realised that the organiser calendar had not been turned in over 4 weeks, simply because there has been  nothing to write down in the way of activities and appointments.  
 
I need structure to my day - waking up  and thinking "What on earth is there to look forward to today?  Just more of the same!"  is no useI need to think of some activity  to aim for,  whether it be mundane or pleasurable.

MY DAILY LOCKDOWN ROUTINE 

8am          Breakfast (muesli & fruit plus different varieties of breads)

8.30am     Return to bed and do my arthritis exercises and check  my IPad. 

9am           Shower and decide what to wear - always trousers, top & fleece

9.30am      Basic housework -  cleaning, tidy up, washing, ironing etc. meals prep.

10.15am    Up to the Square for a newspaper   & odds & ends of shopping

11am         Time for a break - tea and and the biscuit tin comes out. 

11.30a      On the main computer for family history, blogging etc 

1pm           Lunch - home made soup, with crackers or sandwiches & yoghurt

1.30pm      Depends on the weather – read newspaper, a short walk,  

                   gardening,  crochet, practice on my piano keyboard, phone friends.

3,30pm       Another break for tea & biscuits

4.30pm        Prepare meal  - traditional British menu  or pasta  & fruit desert.

5.30pm       Eat it.

6 pm           Watch BBC news -  do crochet, read, browse on my IPad, TV 

10pm          And so to bed –  a read and relaxing music from Classic  FM

 The end to another uneventful day!       

   

    Woman, Kitchen, Cook, Cooking, Apron, Housewife, Dinner


Cooking has never been a great interest of mine, though I have  tried a few new main meal recipes, with success and I know we have healthy meals.  I did think I would feel I had to bring  out my rolling pin and cake tins – but it has never happened and in general it is not something I choose to spend my time on. Also if I baked, I would want to eat the results,  which conflicts with me trying to keep the pounds off!  

Housework wise,  I am making full use of the sanitizer, disinfectants and anti bacterial sprays to  keep infections at bay. But with  no visitors coming to the house, there is not quite the same incentive to dust. 

I have had a great DECLUTTERING session in the loft, my wardrobe and the cupboards, with four bags ready for when the charity shops re-open.  But that creates its own issue - what do I do with them until then,  with  all these bin bags and carrier bags still cluttering up the place? 

And I still need  to get round to regularly cleaning the oven - emphasis on a regular basis!

 Images courtesy of Pixabay 

   ************

ONTO E FOR EXERCISE, EDUCATION AND EVENTS 

#AtoZChallenge 2021 badge

*************

7 comments:

  1. Hello Sue. I need to be organized too. One of the first things I did when I resigned from my job last year was to draw up a weekly schedule. I am not the world's best housekeeper and let me hasten to add, while the tasks might be on the schedule, they don't necessarily get done. I have put the schedule in a sheet protector and it sits on my desk to inspire me should I get into a funk. Luckily my dog Arwen nudges me to go for a walk every day or I would be a complete blimp. Playing bridge and volunteering for my family history society have kept me sane and put some structure in my life. Being a new grandmother is also taking up some time. Every day is pretty busy and I have to remind myself that its okay to have a lazy day once or twice a week. I really do need to de-clutter though and diaries and mementos are on the list. What to keep and what to toss???

    ReplyDelete
  2. My , Alex - I thought I was organized but you beat me hands down - is that a trait of a Librarian? Like you I need structure in my life and my family history activities have helped to provide this, when so much else is out of the question in these times. I like to wake up with something in mind what I am going to do that day. So, keep busy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was good at keeping diary notes last year but have been in avoidance this year. My morning wake-up involves the question to myself “what day is it?” Given that’s included in the tests for ageing, I think we will all be in trouble :) BTW what is ironing???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you, Pauleen, I wake up wondering what day it is – they all seem to run together as the same. Ironing? Well I have been trying to cut back, given all I am wearing these days is casual clothes (and not smart casual), and I am not going anywhere apart from the few shops still open in my village. I could get used to this style!

      Delete
  4. Absolutely love this post -- it made me laugh at several points, and I was relieved to hear I am not the only one who goes back to bed with the iPad in the morning :-) I have actually kept a handwritten diary this year -- which I dubbed "My List-y Life" because at the beginning of the pandemic it was endless to-do lists (photos to scan, a family tree to update, home to declutter, etc.)...but now it's more observational and I'm glad I have kept it up. Enjoying your A to Z posts. Looking forward to more. https://mollyscanopy.com/2021/04/dion-the-dave-clark-five-and-dancing-to-dick-clark/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi, Molly - I was so heartened by your response to my D post, as I was beginning to have second thoughts on my theme - some letters are proving troublesome, and I was wondering if people were going to be totally fed up at the word Covid to be interested in my posts. I have tried to adopt a lighter note at times (keep a look out for my H post). The more serious stuff will come later. Thank you for taking the time to comment.


    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations on recording your Covid experiences. Although we are separated by oceans I am sure that your posts will resonate with our experiences here in Australia.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.