.jump-link{ display:none }

Friday 2 April 2021

B is for Bubbles, Boredom, Books and Body & Soul: A-Z Chalenge 2021

SCOTTISH BORDERS iN LOCKDOWN  -  A-Z Blogging Challenge 2021

Recording My Everyday Life - 
A Picture for Future Generations

 BUBBLES – and I don't  mean the effect you create when making a fun game for toddlers.  Like so much in Lockdown a new vocabulary is being created all the time.


Kid, Soap Bubbles, Girl, Child, Fun

 

Here in the UK we were advised early on in Lockdown, we could set up a “Support Bubble” linking two households.  For us it was obvious we should be in a Bubble with our daughter and family.  The problem, like so much of the regulations, they change over time, and between the four UK countries, so it was easy to get confused and I was never too sure if Bubbles were still valid in the fight against Covid.

 

 

BOREDOM  - I might get fed up at times with the lack of variety in life during Lockdown,  but I was never bored – and my days are still fully occupied with my various hobbies and keeping in touch with friends and family  by the phone. 

 

girl wearing black long-sleeved shirt illustration

 

 

BOOKS – with books you can never get bored, as you can escape into  another world and away from the present  situation.  I used to be a Librarian, so I was used to having a collection of books to turn to. But bookshops were closed and libraries were closed, and I liked to  browse through bookshelves to choose my reading.  A Kindle had never appealed to me – I like to curl up on the sofa or in bed with the real thing. But a friend told me I could create  a Kindle on my Amazon account, without having to buy a new piece of technology.  And since then, I have become a convert to Kindle


 Girl, Books, School, Reading, Learning

 

 BODY & SOUL

The impact of Lockdown on mental health is a continuing cause of concern in the media.  Have I found Lockdown stressful?  Fortunately “no”, despite a  wobble now and again. 

What have I missed most during the full or partial lock-down?  They range from the serious to the trivial - contact with granddaughter;  not able to go to the funerals of two friends;   not able to meet other friends to join in outside activities; not visiting  neighbouring towns (we are dependent on local  bus services which have been severely  cut back)  and it is now 12 weeks since we have been out of the village itself and over a year since a visited our nearest town supermarkets; not visiting the library, not having our regular lunches out;  and not getting my hair cut!  Shaggy locks are growing more and more irritating!!

I know I am very lucky and feel I have coped better with the restrictions than I thought I would  – proof that husband and I must get on so well!

During the first Lockdown, the lovely warm, sunny  weather was a great boost in lifting  spirits,  sitting outside, and gaining a tan - who would not like having more time to do that?   The second Lockdown has been more problematical with dismal depressing weather, snow and ice, and prospect of high heating bills. 

At times,  I was waking up with the sniffles, which had me worried – but that passed and I have had no other virus symptoms, notably no loss of taste or smell.  For myself the worry has been minor in comparison  - what  if I break my glasses?  What if I  get toothache?   Consultations with the local health centre has been primarily by phone, I have been asked twice to go into the surgery for examinations – so no complaints about my local health service. Friends who have been admitted to hospital (not Covid cases)  give nothing by praise for the staff they encountered. 

 Images courtesy of Pixabay

#AtoZChallenge 2021 badge

 

 Onto  C for Comfort Eating, Community,  Creativity & Couch Potatoes. 

 

*********

 

6 comments:

  1. I believe those of us who research our family histories may have fared better during the pandemic because our task is never done...and there is still so much more to do. I found online chats with friends and family on Zoom or Facetime were invaluable -- and I have been able to attend so many more genealogy webinars in areas far from my home than I would have if travel was involved. Yes, there were boring times. But then I'd glance at my genealogy to-do list and be busy once more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How right you are, Molly. I am sure my family history activities have been my saving grace and I have done more this last year than I have ever done in terms of research online and writing my blog. Plus I have found a kindred spirit in my village and we have long chats about our
      findings. For the first time, too I joined an online conference on Scottish Records.

      Delete
  2. We have been in lucky here in Queensland in comparison with our counterparts down in Melbourne. Lockdowns have been short and few and far between so my experience is very limited. When we were locked down last year for I think a couple of weeks I was interested that what I missed most - apart from libraries - was the art gallery. Now that is really good for my soul. Beautiful art work. Thank goodness for zoom and online stuff because I really am a bit of a social body and need to connect with others on a daily basis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How I agree with you, Alex. I miss my regular visits to my local library but it was the spirt to join the world of Kindle - I had always spurned the idea,:much preferring the feel of a real book. But I have been converted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Family history is a life saver mentally...apart from the many things on the to do list. I’ve been keeping Amazon in business with my ebooks as well as borrowing ebooks from the local libraries. Phone calls have slowed down over the months and we’ve been able to have a few social gatherings. I’m most grateful for having been able to travel to see our grandchildren for Christmas, though I had my fingers tightly crossed before each flight that quarantine wouldn’t be involved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meeting your family again must ahve been so uplifting. The fact we live in the same village as my daughter and family has made all the difference to our lives, so we are lucky in that respect. A visit to other family last year had to be cancelled and I have not seen my brother in the south of England since 2019.

      Delete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.