.jump-link{ display:none }

Friday 16 October 2020

Jumpers and Doggy Paddles & Much More - Sepia Saturday

This week's Sepia Saturday prompt photograph features a beach scene, with people having fun jumping a stick, with a  little dog  scampering around them - cue photographs of my jumping granddaughter and our dog enjoying a paddle in the sea. 
 
 
 


 
Our gymnastic minded granddaugher  jumping over anythng she can find. 
 
 
************ 

The prompt photograph mde me think bck to childhood games with skipping ropes. D  Of course you could make do with the end from a old clothes line, but I loved getting a new skipping rope for Christmas – my favourite one with round rosy,  red handles, 

On my own I enjoyed practising my “crossovers - front and back” and “bumps” in the garden;  or with friends in the playground,  we would play Double Dutch – two ropes being turned in different directions, with the rest of us jumping  in and out of the twirling opes. trying  to avoid being tripped  up or getting tangled in the ropes – no thought for health & safety restrictions in those days.  I cannot remember the chants and songs we sang, but there were lots, such as:

~One potato, two potato, three potato,  four

Five potato, six potato, seven potato, more. 

There were always skipping races held on school sports days and it was a great form of exercise, sadly one which we hear so little about these days.    


Jump Rope, Retro, Vintage, Girl, Skipping, Playing 
 
Image courtesy of Pixabay  
 
 
********* 
 
To finish with photographs of our lovely cocker spaniel Cass enjoying beach llfe on the Isle  of Mull  of  the west coast of Scotland.   



 

 In Britain  you don't let poor  weather stop you when on holiday -  here on  the beach   on a windy May day.  
 
And a remind  of better days on one of my most favorite places i - - the Isle of Mul.l


 ***************
 
Sepia Saturday gives bloggers an opportunity
to share their family history through photographs
 
View more  beach tales from  other Sepia Saturday bloggers by clicking HERE
 
 

*

8 comments:

  1. I had missed the dog completely while wondering how those girls would be able to catch Mr. Jumper on his way down with that tiny little "towel?" "blanket?" Loved jumping rope too...there was Teddy bear, Teddy Bear...and I forget the rest. We even got jump ropes (individual size) in some PE classes. But the playground long ones were the most fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Neat pix of granddaughter jumping - especially that first one! I'd forgotten the "One potato, two potato" chant while jumping rope. I remember the "Teddy Bear" chant Barbara mentions: "Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear turn around. Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear touch the ground" etc. For my own post I recalled "Tinker, tailor, soldier, sailor, rich man, poor man, begger-man, thief." In the photo taken from Ione, is that "The Burg" in the background or would that have been farther away?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I might have to go back and do this prompt now that you inspired me with the jump rope. We had this same prompt back in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoyed your photos and remembering the jump ropes with the red wood handles and the chants - Cinderella dressed in yella went up stairs to kiss her fella. Made a mistake and kissed a snake. How many doctors did it take? I never tried double dutch. Not that coordinated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jumping for joy. It's clear from your photos.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone had great timing for your granddaughter's photos. Digital cameras are not so reliable to capture action shots. I'm glad you picked up on the dog theme too. That dachshund is what gives the photo a special illusion.
    And I'm pleased your blog is now back to family friendly fare.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah, those jump ropes. Cleverly disguised as fun, they provided hours of -- exercise to their young users -- myself included -- when I was growing up. In my neighborhood, we often used whatever was at hand -- old rope from the garage, left over clothesline -- for hours of fun. Thanks for the memories!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good selection of photos for this prompt. I remember doing high jump and broad jump in our school competitions but no one thought to take pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.