.jump-link{ display:none }

Thursday 17 September 2020

All things Wood - Sepia Saturday

This week's Sepia Saturday prompt photograph shows two Edwardian ladies in hats and long skirts,  feeding logs onto a small bonfire.  Well,  I have done hat and long skirts,  and with no other relevant vintage images,  I have chosen to focus on wood  -  for Buildings & Bridges, Artistic Inspiration and Simply for Fun, with memories of holidays, home and family. Do  read on!  

 
WOOD IN BUILDINGS AND BRIDGES


 A timber yard in Ruhpolding, Bavaria - looking across the meadows to the church.
 
Wooden steps up to a covered bridge in Kaprun, Austria.   


A traditional Austrian chalet in Kaprun, with the wooden balcony, shutters and fencing. 


 
A typical dining room/bar in Austria and Bavaria with the wooden panelled wall, wooden shutters and carved chairs.

 
A typical Cape Cod cottage, with a picket fence  
on the Island of Nantucket, in New England.  
 
Christchurch, Cambridge which I attended whilst working in the USA, 1965-66.  Now designated a National Historic Site, Christchurch  was founded in 1759 and built in the  traditional New England clapboard style.  There is a beautiful and elegant Georgian simplicity to its interior. During the Amerasian Revolution,  the church was attacked by dissenting colonials for its Tory leanings, but George and  Martha Washington attended a service here.


 
 A reconstruction of the old wooden North Bridge at Concord, Massachusetts,  where in 1775 local Minutemen fired the first shot in the American War of Independence and forced the British to retreat back to Boston. 
 
A  traditional covered wooden bridge in New Hampshire, New England

A wooden jetty and boat house on the island of Martha's Vineyard, New England


INSPIRED BY WOOD 

 Swan boats on Lake Bled in Slovenia .


In St. Gilgen Austria,  a carved wooden balcony with a lovely image of a little dog.


 A carved figure outside a shop in in Austria. 
"Schnitz Verkstatt"  means "woodcarving workshop"  

Two of eleven wicker woodland creatures, created around a metal skeleton, by a local  artist,  and on display this summer in Priorwood  Gardens, a National Trust  property in Melrose in the  Scottish Borders.

 Owls carved on a bench at Centre Parcs, Whinfell Forest, Cumbria. 


AND FINALLY - YOU CAN HAVE FUN WITH WOOD

 Our pet cocker spaniel enjoyed on a walk, picking up branches, the longer  the better,  to bring home.  
A welcome wooden bench on a mountain walk near Innsbruck, Austria - I hasten to add we got up on high via a chair lift!
 

Not my idea of fun - but here is our granddaughter on the high tree trek walk at Centre Parks in Whinfell Forest in the Lake District.

Helping Daddy unload logs for the fire.
 
 **************
 
Sepia Saturday gives an opportunity for genealogy bloggers 
       to share their family history and family memories,
by featuring each week a photographic prompt.
 

 
 

                             To see other Sepia Saturday contributions, Click HERE 


*************

P.S. I continue to have awful trouble using this new Blogger and was dismayed today that I could not revert to the Legacy version.  It took me ages writing this quite straightforward post.   I  got there in the end! 
 

10 comments:

  1. (I'm glad I don't work with "Blogger" from all the complaints I've been seeing & hearing!) Some great inventive posts here. I've been across that bridge between Lexington and Concord in 1992 when I was chaperoning a group of high schoolers on a history trip. In fact the entire group of 36 teens posed in the middle of that bridge for a picture so the wood structure underneath must have been good and stout! Oh, and by the way, I think that cute wood sculpture of a dog is actually a cat? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, for your comment. Yes, I had written down cat initially for that carving, and then changed my mind to dog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It really is hard to tell. I did wonder about the long legs being more like a dog's than a cat's? The long skinny tail seemed more like a cat's, but some dogs have skinny tails? I think it's a tossup but a cute one for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's something special about wood as a material.

    The swan boats made me add Slovenia to by list of places to see.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fascinating to see where you have gone with this week's prompt. These are gorgeous photos of vacations past -- and the creative use of wood for boats, bridges and beauty. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a fun post, with photos from all over. So glad you could share your visits to all those places!! Wood is a wonderful material that we can use in many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  7. On my dresser is a small alpine chalet, a Swiss music box, which I've marveled for its rustic charm ever since I was a small child. It's the organic quality of wood that I love and the way it can be easily transformed into anything imaginable, from buildings to carvings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd love to glide down the river in one of those swan boats!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a different type of post for you! It is rather thought-provoking in its simplicity. I enjoyed this tribute to wood in all its various forms and uses.
    (While I don't love the new Blogger, I am not having problems with it. As before, I copy and paste my text from a Word document and then insert photos and do any formatting in Blogger.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your kind comments - this was a fun post to pull together.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.