.jump-link{ display:none }

Friday 5 June 2020

Windows on Life : Sepia Saturday

This week's Sepia Saturday prompt photograph shows a young girl posing in front of a window. - and I have the ideal match!



Posed  in front of her home (and business),  
my cousin's mother Elsie Oldham (1906-1989) of Blackpool, Lancashire.

From the house above,  the Oldham family ran a long establish carters and coal merchant business, with stabling for the horses behind the house. 

The enterprising Elsie around 1926 set up  her hairdressing  salon there with adverts on the house promoting "bobbing, shingling and marcel waves" prominent displayed. 



I love this 1920s evocative blotter presenting a more elegant side of her business - under the name of  "Elise  -  perhaps the French adaptation of the more mundane Elsie  was regarded as more appropriate for a hairdresser.

On the death in 1939 of her father John William Oldham,  Elsie   took on the helm of the coal merchant business along with her husband Arthur Stuart Smith, seeing it  through the difficult wartime years, and  combining it with her own hairdressing activities. The coal merchant business was eventually sold around  1948  to another local firm, thus ending three generations of the family concern. 

************  

Against the window,  a special photograph of my grandfather and grandmother  - William Danson and Alice English, taken c.1916 when Grandad was setting  out for war. I never knew my grandmother as she died when I was a baby and this is the only photograph I have of William and Alice together.   

Alice has featured  several times on my blog as she is my major brick wall.  I have never been able to trace her  birth certificate, c.1884  to find out the name of her mother and her early life remains a mystery which I doubt if I will ever now solve. 




My dressmaker mother, Kathleen Danson,
modelling one of her dresses. c.1930



https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEh_nWhhVaF5fxIYzUXjV0Vujd_Ip1of6gyltc0nJ9lKbtGDYnuAO1mndqD1QFB248alVgYGcSptrHBxumezbQOHnPjF6aM_aQ8zJjix2bczHzO9uso7kZUlqy_MZTDgz8URqZve76re-6g-/s320/M+%2526+D+-+Wartime++%25281%2529+X.jpg
My father setting off for war with my mother right, 
and my aunt Edith  left, c.1941


Here I am with my mother who I can only remember with grey hair. I can't remember having the kitten either!   Nowadays I think we would move that dustbin out of the way before taking a photograph! 

Below the same window.


My mother and I again in unmistakably 1970s colourful fashion. 
.
***************

 I am snap-happy when it comes to photographing windows on holiday, so here I am adding images that takes me back to many happy times. 

Where 16th century  French architecture meets the contemporary style of the famous glass Louvre Pyramid. Opened in 1989,  it evoked controversy on many grounds. It now provides the entrance to the Louvre Museum, and somehow I think it works. 


Against the backcloth of a classical building,  a cow "marches" on parade atop of a bus shelter in Warsaw.  The  full scale  fibre  glass figures are  decorated  by local artists and represent different aspects of city life and culture 

 The "Cow Parades" have become a popular feature of public art  in cities across the world, adding colour and interest to the surroundings. 

 
 An unusual corner window in the spa town of Bad Reichenhall in Bavaria. 

A magnificent frontage to a  building  in Traustein in Bavaria, Germany.



A rustic, homely look to these attractive  little windows in Austria.


 
Celebrating Halloween  - A window display in our hotel in Falmouth, Massachusetts  on a New England visit. 


It is not just abroad you will find colourful window boxes   Just three miles from my home in the Scottish Borders is this hotel in Melrose.   First impressions do count!  

As for someone peeping out through a  window, I had to turn to this picture  of my little granddaughter. 


***********

Sepia Saturday gives bloggers an opportunity
to share their family history through photograph

 
Click HERE to read how other Sepia Saturday bloggers 
have reflected this week's prompt photograp.



12 comments:

  1. Wonderful images Susan. I'm a complete blank on this week's topic so will probably give it a miss. Love those "exotic" Bavarian windows - so interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Family posing in front of a selection of windows fits perfectly with the prompt, and I love all the flower-box window photos. But I've never understood the glass pyramid in front of the beautiful old Louvre. If there's a significance to it, it's lost on me. Oh well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, that spammer has joined your comments. I loved the windows you've included, with family as well as beautiful traveling shots.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wish Elise were alive today to help me with my hair. It is not looking its best. A fabulous selection of photos. The Germans seem to be very good at dressing their windows. They look so sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the sound of Elsie/Elise, a strange combination of business though coal & haridressing, she sounds facinating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well done! The painted buildings remind me of the ones I saw in Stein Am Rhine in Switzerland last year.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great photos, Sue. I especially love the one of your grandparents. Sweet yet a little provocative.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a delightful selection of vintage family photos! If you done the DNA, maybe sometime you'll find enough clues to get past that brick wall.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you all for your lovely comments. This was a fun post to, bring together. Elsie/Elise is one of my favourite s in my family history., and I wish I had a hairdresser in my family today to sort my shaggy locks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wonderful research and such a great collection of family photographs. I was intrigued by the Danson family and only realised the other day when I was following a line of research, that my Auntie Josephine Fisher nee-Ditchfield [1936-2001] was the granddaughter of John Danson 1879-1917. With this in mind I walked into Poulton today and visited the war memorial, church and Danson family grave.

      Delete
    2. Hi, Thornton, I was delighted to hear from you - another Danson connection. I have vague childhood recollections of your grandmother, known to me as Josie, visiting us at Staining Road and in fact I inherited her gymslip for school. Josie’s mother Annie Maria was my mother (Kathleen Danson)’s cousin. Do key in Annie Maria Danson into the search box on the right hand of my blog page and you will find a number of articles on Annie including photographs of her childhood and wedding. I would love to see any more photographs you might of her. Her father's death was a tragic one. My e-mail address is at the top of my blog and look forward to hearing from you. Susan

      Delete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.