.jump-link{ display:none }

Saturday 27 June 2020

Tea Time Treats: Sepia Saturday

This week's Sepia Saturday prompt photograph shows friends enjoying afternoon tea in the garden,c.1920.    I have a good match,though taken earlier around 1900.


An unidentified scene from the postcard collection 
 of the Heritage Hub, Hawick 

                      SO WHAT ARE THE INGREDIENTS FOR AN AFTERNOON TEA? 

The Kettle 
 I remember this copper kettle (below)  sitting in the hearth of my grandfather's house and I was always led to believe  it was his mother's - my great grandmother Maria Danson, nee Rawcliffe (1859-1919)   I was absolutely  delighted when it eventually passed down to me.





The Best China
Complementing the kettle is this tea-set, which,  (according to her granddaughter), Maria acquired by collecting coupons from a newspaper offer.  
 




Pink seemed to be  the favoured colour for the "best" tea-set and I have pieces from both my grandmother Alice  and my mother's wedding china. 




 My grandmother, Alice English who married William Danson in 1907


 

 


My parent's wedding - John Weston and Kathleen Danson  in 1938

Teapot 

Two teapots - with no family connection, other than I liked them and bought them both in a charity shop to display in my kitchen/diner.


Milk Jug  and Sugar Bowl 


 My mother was a dressmaker, apprenticed  at the age of 14,  and throughout her life tried her hand at a  wide variety of crafts.  Here in the  1960s,  china painting was her choice. 

 My mother, Kathleen Weston, nee Danson



Embroidered tray cloths and table cloths
 
My mother, Kathleen and my Aunt Edith (left)  were both assiduous needlewomen and the tablecloth and tray cloths (below) are just a  small example of their fine work.  

How sad that the art seems to be dying.  I did  try my hand at it in my teens, but I was hopeless at stem stitch, stain stitch and French knots; could just about manage lazy, daisy stitch and best of all cross-stitch which I took up again with enthusiasm much later in life. I must admit I would be too afraid to use embroidered tablecloths and tray cloths,   fearing spills - and that would present another test of my laundering skills!  


   








Dainty Cakes and Sandwiches 
My mother was a great baker and the BE-RO Book was her bible - the popular recipe  book  for housewives in the 20th century Britain, promoting BE-RO  flours.  I still have her copy,  somewhat stained and the cover torn but very obviously used a great deal.   We enjoyed  Caribbean slices, Paradise slices, Victoria sponges, chocolate crispies, coconut pyramids, ginger biscuits and Shrewsbury biscuits, flapjacks, fairy cakes, butterfly cakes. and Eccles cakes   I loved currant slices -  I ignored their school dinner nickname of  "fly pie" or "fly cemetery" - Mum's were far nicer!  I look back at home made jam and jellies with the muslin bag slung between to two chairs to drip, drip.  Home-made marmalade was delicious  - nothing to beat it, despite the arduous task of chopping up all those Seville oranges by hand - no labour saving devices then! 



Friday was my mother's baking day to set us up for the weekend and week ahead - cakes and biscuits with fruit pies or crumbles (apple, rhubarb, gooseberry, blackcurrant or blackberry).  Lemon meringue was my favourite Sunday dessert, along with trifle and jelly fluff (whipped up with evaporated milk). I disliked blancmange but liked Angel Delight.  Sunday tea meant chocolate cake with thick butter icing.







And today - I cannot resist an afternoon tea! 




The table set for our Ruby wedding anniversary afternoon tea -
no room here on the table for the goodies which came later.


Cake, Baking, Sweets, Dessert, Sweet




*************

Sepia Saturday gives bloggers an opportunity

to share their family history through photographs




Click HERE
to read how other Sepia Saturday bloggers 

have pondered over this week's prompt photograph. 
 

8 comments:

  1. Oh how lovely were those hand embroidered linens. I've managed to save some that were made by others...from various yard sales in the last 20 years. They are so beautiful. Those tea cakes do sound delicious, though I've never eaten any by those names! I only have a few tea pots, some made by myself. They all are special! Maybe it's time for a tea party, oh no, we've got the pandemic now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully embroidered table linens, pretty tea pots and cups,yummy-looking goodies all paired with lovely photos of special people. Perfect post for this week's challenge. And"Snap" on the lemon meringue & orange marmalade!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm officially launching a baking spree. Not sure if Paradise or Caribbean Slices are first.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such a lovely post! Makes me want to prepare tea right now. How fortunate you are to have china hand painted by your mother and those gorgeous embroidered linens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tea time is a mark of civilized culture around the world but as your it really is an occasion for family and friends. As for needlewomen, my grandmother was a farm girl who always seemed to have some kind of sewing in her hands. Last week in looking for a photo of my mom I discovered one from when she was about age six I'd never seen before. But I recognized the dress she was wearing because until recently it hung in her closet. My grandmother crocheted it from fine white thread with beautiful tight knotwork. Now I have a photo to keep with it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I enjoyed this from the fancy stitching to the recipe and china. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your kind comments.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.