.jump-link{ display:none }

Thursday 30 April 2020

Z for Zeppelina & Zetland: A-Z April Challenge 2020

ZEPPILINA -  I have no Zebediah, Zadok  or Zaccariah, Zara, Zena, Zelda,  Zipporah or Zandra in my family.  However I have come across the name of Zeppilina in  "The Sunday Chronicle"  for  26th September 1937 (my husband's birthday),  
 
This quirky item bore  the intriguing headline    "Zeppelin was Her Stork" and told how Zeppelina, celebrating her 21st birthday, was named after a German Zeppelin which crashed near her her home in Essex on the day she was born in 1916



ZETLAND  -is the old name for the Shetland Isles, the northern most isles of Scotland, situated 110 miles from the mainland and closer  to Bergen in Norway than to Edinburgh. Shetland stretches around a hundred miles from north to south. with over 100 islands in the group, 15 of which are inhabited.  It is well known as the home of the Shetland ponies. I wrote about the most northerly of the island -  Unst,  under the letter U - the home of my cousin's  Smith ancestors.




Early Shetland was was occupied by Pictish peoples. They left no written history but ancient  towers called brochs, carved stones and beautiful silver objects. From about 800 AD, however, the Pictish peoples were either displaced by - or absorbed into - waves of immigration from Scandinavia as the Vikings expanded westwards.



Shetland remained under Norwegian control for around 600 years. Their rule ended as the result of a marriage treaty in 1468  when King Christian I of Norway mortgaged Shetland to the Scottish crown to raise part of the dowry for the marriage of his daughter Margaret to King James III of Scotland.  James went on to annex Shetland to the Scottish crown in 1472, though the Nordic influence remained strong on the islands. 



Lerwick, Shetland Isles, Scotland, Uk
Image courtesy of Pixabay
 

*************


As  this 2020 Challenge comes to an end
with my shortest post of the series, I conclude: 



I have Zipped and Zoomed through the letters, had an occasional  Zany moment, but approached the challenge with Zest and Zeal to reach this Zenith. 


                                               A BIG THANK YOU  TO
All my fellow bloggers who took time to read (my often lengthy)  post"liked" my posts and specially those who wrote comments - these are very much appreciated.  As ever I was amazed at the different interpretation of the letters, especially the bugbear letters  of Q, X and Z;  fascinated by the varied tales of ancestors' lives - whether illustrious or ordinary; and learnt from the  writing of others in the process.  


My advice to anyone considering taking part - plan  and draft your posts well ahead, as the pace can get hectic.    I was very late signing up, largely because I was originally going  be away in April and was also heavily involved planning for a local history  exhibition - both cancelled of course in the current crisis.    Result was I was constantly catching up  and often drafting posts only a day ahead of the posting. 


I tried to read other genealogyentries- and there did not seem to be that many of us,  but I failed to broaden my reading,  by looking at other categories  in the challenge, - something I have managed to do in the past. 


At the end, I must admit I breathed a sigh of relief,  but then I am already thinking of possible themes for next year!   Onto 2021!



https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEjFnTsFxs-hHmQDuglooeBX8FxSn1dQeVDkzKM9t4pdOauITk6wGLGiA1nSb0y19qfU5NCgQQv1Ayop7djrkPTVUJIyTEZeRxb2DrWznnMHWvP14kA7zK8wjzfAmiq7JIR4ZyRYs2CGr_E/s320/2badge.jpg

*****************

                                                                 

10 comments:

  1. Thanks Susan for allowing us to join you on your journey through your family, whither they were sinners or saints. Surly that's the essence of such an undertaking. Although it showed where information could be found it also illustrated the point that whatever access was used it required patience and persistence. Thanks again Susan and we look forward to your next challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, too, for your comments - much appreciated. I enjoyed highlighting perhaps lesser known resources, especially for those with Scottish Ancestry. It all contributes to making family history research and writing such an absorbing hobby - which never comes to an end!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder if people will name their babies with variations of "Corona"? I went under "History" this time instead of genealogy. I sort of got stuck in a rut with commenting and didn't visit around as much.

    Congratulations on finishing! Especially doing it from day to day. I'm sort of thinking of next year too, although I may use my idea before then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking exactly the same thing, Kristin, when I was writing this post on Zeppelina - it seems a very strange action to name a child after a bomb. I did notice in the list of participants there seemed fewer under the History category - and not that many under Genealogy compared with previous years. I do feel I should have commented more - but it did not happen.

      Delete
  4. I have enjoyed your posts, always engaging. I had some posts done well ahead of time but by week three was only just keeping up daily so like you am glad it is over for this year. Now back to sorting and labelling photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That article about Zeppelina named after a German Zeppelin, during the war no less.. made me laugh.
    My daughter that was born Christmas Day thanks me every year that I didn’t name her Merry or Noelle.
    The names of the islands make sense now that I know they were Scandinavian.
    Great finish with the letter Z.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loved all your z words for progressing through A to Z, but you pulled the rabbit out of the hat with Zeppelina. That was an amazing find! People call their children the strangest things ,even decades ago, as your post showed.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good one "I have Zipped and Zoomed through the letters, had an occasional Zany moment, but approached the challenge with Zest and Zeal to reach this Zenith."
    Congratulations for successful A to Z Blogging.
    A to Z 2020 Blogging Series What is Industrial Engineering? What is its Practice in Top Global Manufacturing Companies

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on finishing your A to Z Challenge! Great us of those Z words. And what a quirky article discovery. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanking you all for your kind comments on me finishing the A-Z Challenge. It did feel at times as if I was running a marathon, and I appreciate that you took time to read my posts and to comment. Now for a more relaxing time!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.