.jump-link{ display:none }

Friday 1 November 2019

Model Poses by the Car - Sepia Saturday.

A young girl posed by a car was this week's Sepia Saturday prompt photograph.  I knew immediately which photograph  would be my main feature - one of my mother taken c.1937. 

 

My elegant mother by an  impressive looking car    I suspect this was taken around 1937, before my parents married. Take a look at Mum's fashionable shoes and that pancake hat!   


 

Fast forward to 1968 (this photograph was dated)  - my mother this time atop of the car - I am surprised that my father allowed someone to sit on the bonnet. 


 

Outside our home in Edinburgh and my mother smartly dressed for, I suspect,  a Sunday drive. c.1963, with  hat, gloves and court shoes.  She must have been around 60 years old then, but what a contrast to today's casual wear for all ages.

My Mother and aunt. Sunday afternoon often meant we drove out  to  see the building  of the Forth Road Bridge.    Before then,  you had to join the queue at South Queensferry to cross the River Forth on a ferry, first  established by Queen Margaret of Scotland in the 11th century to transport pilgrims to Dunfermline Abbey and St. Andrew's . The  opening   in 1964 by the Queen of the  1.6 mile Road Bridge  - at the time the longest suspension bridge outside the USA - was a major event in Scottish transport,  linking Edinburgh with the north east of the country.  (I always like adding a bit of trivia history to a post!)  


By 1972 I was married  and this was our new car, a bronze Ford Cortina,  bought in preparation for the birth of our daughter  and big enough to take the pram and all the baby paraphernalia.    This photograph was taken  near  Smailholm Tower in the Scottish Borders. I am wearing a pinafore dress that was all the rage then - I had them in dark, green, blue and brown.




I know  - showing off in my mini skirt!  c.1970.   Those large dark framed specs are back in fashion now. 

***************



   Sepia Saturday offers bloggers the opportunity to share their family histor
through the medium of photographs.

 

Click HERE to see more of this week's photographs from Sepia Saturday bloggers.

7 comments:

  1. Enjoyed your car and family pictures over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like that last pic with you in your mini skirt. :) Those were the days! But here's another 'snap' between you & me: two years after you bought your bronze Ford Cortina, we bought a brown Ford Maverick. How long did you drive the Cortina? We replaced the Maverick in 1981 with a silver Honda Accord.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such nice cars, and women in clothes that belonged to the fashions of the day. Oh my, I do remember those miniskirts! And now I'm abashed at seeing women of every shape and age wearing leggings which leave nothing to the imagination. "What is this world coming to?" echoing my own mother!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these women and their cars. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great cavalcade of the women in your family and their cars. I loved my mini skirts and my hot pants, but sadly I have no photos of them - probably because I was the only photographer in the family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! A perfect match for our theme. It was interesting to see how the cars changed from your mother's 1937 car with its classic artful curves to the younger ones with sharper boxed corners. Car styles like hat styles change slowly but eventually look comically out of date.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fun post that was Sue. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.