.jump-link{ display:none }

Friday 22 November 2019

Portrait of a Lady: Sepia Saturday

The prompt photograph (below) from this week's Sepia Saturday page had me sorting through my own collection  for portraits of my female ancestors - and a look at hairstyles down the generations.




 

My paternal grandmother Mary Barbara Weston, nee Matthews,  (1876-1958). She  was the third of ten children, born to  John and Matilda Matthews of Wolverhampton in the English Midlands.   John was a  prominent member of the local Methodist church, conducting the choir and I hold amongst my family treasure, his  silver crested baton.
Annie Bailey of Blackpool - an ancestor of my third cousin. 
Taken in the 1800s to 1900s  perhaps?  


 
My great grandmother Maria Danson, nee Rawcliffe (1959-1919)
I have always found this portrait difficult to date - can anyone help? 
.  
The impact on the First World War on the changing role of  women saw an abandonment of the  traditional long hair styles of the Victorian period to the new short styles of the bob, finger-wave, Marvel wave, shingle and Eton crop, with their popularity continuing well into the 1930's. 

An elegant unidentified portrait in my husband's collection -
thought to be a relation of his aunt Annette.  

My great aunt Jennie Danson  who sacrificed her long plait for the new look.



My mother Kathleen Danson -Jennie's niece,
though there was only 11 years difference in their ages.  


My mother again - with more waves this time




My mother's second cousin Elsie Oldham - hairdresser "Elise".



In the 1930''s and 1940's  a  softer look crept in, with curls and waves all the rage, and during the war the "roll" was the defining style.  This was the age of trying to emulate  Hollywood glamour, despite the realities  of life during the  depression and war.



My mother  - Kathleen Danson

My aunt - Edith Danson
           





Another new look for my mother who seems to have adopted an Austrian style, with what looks like  braids over  her head.  She was always very proud of her distinctive widow's peak.  

Below some typical 1940s looks from my aunt Peggy Danson (in WAAF uniform), my mother and finally  my husband's stylish aunt Annette.



 On some decades  - with  the heavy glasses of the 1970's (now backn fashion), though I wish I had hair like that now! 


 




 
The nearest I came to big hair,   with the permed look and big shoulder pads for this photograph taken for a work Annual Report c.1991.   With owlish glasses to match, there were comments that I looked like  Deidre out of TV soap opera  "Coronation Street"  - I did not feel flattered! 

My mother still looking elegant in her 80s - taken c.1986

**************
Copyright © 2019· Susan Donaldson.  All Rights Reserved

Click  HERE  to see how other Sepia Saturday bloggers
have taken up this week's theme.


  

6 comments:

  1. A wonderful collection of family portraits! The double photo of your great aunt Jennie Danson cutting her long hair for the new short hairstyle reminded me, in the
    '60s, of when I had my long hair whacked off in favor of the new bubble hairdo look except I never actually went with the full bubble. My younger sister did,though. Lots of back-combing and smooth over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh what fun women have had with hair styles. But I also remember there wasn't any hair spray for those earlier styles, and with long hair you could use hairpins, but short meant it just went any which way. Lucky (I think) those who had some natural curl to their hair.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hairstyles through time fascinate me. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's interesting how hairstyles change over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post is both fun and instructional — a tutorial for dating ancestral photos. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What lovely ladies you have in your photo album. Quite nice.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.