.jump-link{ display:none }

Friday 26 April 2019

Up the Steps - Sepia Saturday

A typical English village scene for this week's  Sepia Saturday prompt photograph,  with  a market cross with steps  and the village pub,  the  Golden Lion.  From me it is a whirlwind tour of random images that brings back happy family memories.

SCOTTISH BORDERS 

 A village pub is always  at the centre of life and here is the Red Lion in the Square at my home village of Earlston. Its records go back to 1814 - below an undated  vintage postcard of the pub. Judging by the glimpse of the motor car - 1920s-1930s


 John Newton, tenant and later owner of the Red Lion, serving for over 25 years 
in the late 19th century.

Still  close to home, here is the market cross in the historic town of Melrose, famed for its  12th century ruined Abbey, its setting alongside the River Tweed and  beneath the tripple Eildon Hills; and its success in Scotland in Bloom competitions.



HIDDEN STEP

 Staffa lies 9 miles off the Isles of Mull and Iona in the Scottish Highlands.  Its most famous feature is Fingal's Cave,  a large sea cave some 60 feet high.   The sight  of the rocks and the sound of the sea inspired composer Felix Mendelssohn to capture his visit  in 1829 in "The Hebrides Overture". Other famous visitors made the journey there  - John Keats, Sir Walter Scott, Joseph Turner and Robert Louis Stevenson.  Queen Victoria and Prince Albert were rowed into the cave on the royal barge in 1847.  

You can climb to the top of the island on some step, hidden in this gully. 


A view from the top - quite a climb  with a rope to hold on to  as a safely aid! 
Marsden Rock is a 100 foot sea stack which lies 100 yards off the cliff face, at South Shields in north east England. Steps were built into the rock and  In 1903 several choirs climbed onto the rock to perform a choral service.   My husband spent his childhood here, with the beach a favourite playground. In a way this is an historic photograph, as in 1996 the arch collapsed, splitting the rock into two stacks. The smaller stack was decreed unsafe and demolished.  


MORE ENGLISH STEPS

normal;">A large rock in the Lake District - near Keswick c.1988  I don't know how I was adventurous  enough to climb to the top - or even do the descent.   I could not do it now!  

 

Our young daughter, c.1976 against the arched windows at  Whitby Abbey perched high on the cliffs, overlooking  the North Sea.  The first monastery here, founded in about 657AD, became one of the most important religious centres in the Anglo-Saxon world.  The abbey was the inspiration for Bram Stoker's gothic novel,  "Dracula", written in 1887. 


*********** 

Sepia Saturday gives bloggers an opportunity to share 
their family history and memories through photograph

Step HERE  into more stories from other Sepia Saturday bloggers.



12 comments:

  1. The market square marked with a raised post or statue must be primarily European as I can find few pictures of such things in the U.S. except for areas in some of the original colonies. Once folks began moving west and south, the "market square" pretty much disappeared. We still have open markets on occasion, but not necessarily in an officially marked place. Too bad because I like the look and idea of a predetermined market square. Oh well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you identified the prompt as a market cross. I thought it was a bricked-over fountain. Like La Nightingail observed, it is an unfamiliar image in America. Love your photos - they always make me want to pack my bags and head to Scotland.
    (PS - every blog I've visited today has been hit by the same spammer. Did you know you can "delete forever" so that it doesn't even show in the comments? It's in your Dashboard.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad to see images of nature and man made artifacts...stairs are helpful in getting to the top of things (a natural inclination of us humans.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've always been fascinated by Mendelssohn's trip to Scotland. I think he was the first composer who traveled for the pleasure of seeing a new place and then created music to describe it. He was also a talented artist and I think that sets him apart him too in visualizing music in a new way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Wendy, I always love to see your photos and read your descriptions. Often the things pictured are unfamiliar sights here and, yes, they do make me want to make a trip to see in person!

    ReplyDelete
  7. A nice article, Sue - gives us all a look into your life. That is a sweet picture of your daughter at Whiby Abbey.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for posting these pictures and including the history with them. Very enjoyable post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a beautiful place. I would love to visit sometime and explore.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love reading about Scotland! But, I am afraid to say most of my knowledge is from reading the Outlander books by Diana Gabaldon, and watching the series on TV. I love discovering more about the places where they filmed. But, it is so much better to read about Scottish locations from a local who has lived there all her life. Would love to visit Scotland sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful photos Sue.
    I learned about the Market Crosses on my trip to Scotland. My daughter took photos of them in every city and town! I’d love to go back!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you all for your kind comments. I did not reslise that market crosses were an unfamiliar sight in the USA - surprising really when immigrants brought so many features from their homeland. Yes, I am lucky to live in such a beautiful” part of the world and enjoy sharing my pride with other bloggers and conveying something of our history. Like Mike, Mendelssohn one of my favourite composers and his Scottish Symphony always takes me back to holidays in the Western Isles.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.