.jump-link{ display:none }

Thursday 27 December 2018

My Christmas Card Scrapbooks: Genealogy Blog Party

 This month's Genealogy Blog Party  asks  us to share  our Christmas holiday traditions.  I am taking a look at one of my favourite post-Christmas activities - compiling a Christmas Card scrapbook.

Firstly vintage cards in my collection :  
The postcard above, sent in 1877, was in the collection of my third cousin, (once removed), Janet, who made contact with me through the genes reunited website - we went onto exchange family memorabilia. The verse on the card reflects the rather Victorian maudlin sentiment of the time, but it is still a lovely picture.


This lovely German Christmas card came from the my husband's family.   His uncle Mattie married a German girl in the 1950's.   


 Another charming card - this time from France, courtesy of cousin Stuart. 


My Scrapbook Project
 It seems  a shame to bin so many lovely images on Christmas Cards  that I have come up with my own way of retaining the cards for future pleasure. 

I  began doing this years ago when my daughter was small, with  "Gillian's Christmas Scrapbook"    as a way of conveying the Christmas story and traditions in a strong visual style and displaying  cards that had been especially sent to her.  I hand-wrote the words as this was long before the days of computers. The scrapbook came out of the cupboard every Christmas to look through and reminiscence over  and  it became part of  our family tradition.   





Many  years down the line, I had a growing  pile   of cards that I had refused to throw out, so I created something similar in a more adult version calling it "Christmas Kaleidoscope"- annotated this time by the computer, which of course made a huge difference to the style of presentatio. 
 

 

By then I had the bug, so the next year it was "A Christmas Anthology",  using the cards to illustrate poems, songs and literature relating to Christmas.     


My last  project, spread over two scrapbook,  was "A Christmas A-Z  focusing on a  wide range of aspects of the Christmas story.  What would I do without the internet to help with history and definitions! 





 I  do mean to stop - but already my mind is on the next edition  - perhaps looking at the stories behind Christmas carols.  

Since I began, scrapbooking has become  a sophisticated hobby, but I have kept to  a very simple style with  the focus on the illustrations.

So to anyone who sent me a card, it continues to give pleasure long after the 12 days of Christmas have past.  You never know, I might have created an heirloom  for my descendants. 


 ********************

5 comments:

  1. What a wonderful tradition. You’ve put an amazing amount of work into producing these books of memories. Very impressive. I just keep a sample of the ones I get, especially those from family and close friends.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love vintage cards and have my own collection. Your scrapbook looks terrific. Be sure to post this link on Elizabeth's page so others can read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your scrapbooks and the memories being saved for all time. Wishing you and your family a happy and healthy holiday!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea! I have so many Christmas cards from years long gone that I would love to preserve.

    May you and your loved ones have a happy and healthy 2019!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your kind comments on my Christmas card scrapbooks idea - I recommend it as a relaxing pursuit and one lovely to look back over in years to come.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.