.jump-link{ display:none }

Wednesday 12 December 2018

Family China Treasures - Sepia Saturday

In this week’s Sepia Saturday prompt photograph of a  bedroom scene, my eye focused on the jug and basin on the dresser.  So, below are my family china treasures. 


My mother, Kathleen Weston, nee Danson (below)  tried her hand at many different crafts, including  painting on china.  Above a  milk jug and sugar bowl and below a little plate.  They are signed on the back with her initials and the date 1960.  


 

My mother came  from a family of three sisters, all of whom were talented in various crafts.  Here is a small plate painted by her youngest sister  Margaret, known as Peggy, with he inscription on the reverse "Hand painted by M.Constable, 1979".


 Peggy  met her husband whilst working in a barrage balloon squadron during the war.  They married and  emigrated to Australia shortly after and Peggy brought me this little plate on her only return visit to Britain in 1980.  Below  Peggy here with her sons - my Australian cousins, c.1950.



 I have pieces of wedding china of my mother, grandmother and great grandmother. 

 
The wedding china of my parents Kathleen Danson and John Weston who married  in 1938.  It only came out of the china cabinet on special occasions, such as Christmas. 


 
 My parents' wedding, 1938


 

 The wedding china of my grandmother Alice Danson, nee English
who married my grandfather William Danson in 1907.

 
 Alice (1884-1945) - could this be her wedding photo,  given she is wearing a corsage? Copies of the photograph  were held by various branches  of the family.


 
 The best tea-set of my great grandmother, Maria Danson, nee Rawcliffe (1859-1919).  It is now with  Maria's granddaughter who recalls that Maria was very proud of the set which she got from collecting coupons from a newspaper offer. 

******************
Sepia Saturday gives bloggers an opportunity
to share their family history through photograph.
 

Click HERE to see more of this week's blogger tales


*********************

11 comments:

  1. Very impressed with your ancestors' china painting skills! Delicate brushwork and lovely colors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your Mum Kathleen's work is delcate & beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great collection of china from the family, and each has a story. I'm not able to do china painting, but am in awe of those who did it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very observant to pick out the china washbowl and jug as a sub-theme. My wife inherited her mother's jug collection which feature in two china cupboards built into our antique house. She also has her mother's china service which occupies several shelves in our kitchen cabinets but is only for show as we NEVER EVER use them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. All the pieces are lovely, but I especially like the creamer and sugar bowl in the first photo. So simple, yet so elegant. And the informal picture of Alice is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for your kind comments on my Family China post. It is not often that I manage to write on anything but the obvious.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a lovely photos of china and a unique take on the prompt. Wonderful that you have china pieces painted by family members!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful collection. Every piece of china tells a story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a great illustration of family heirlooms. I love the part about your grandmother collecting coupons to purchase it. Like Ann says, every piece tells a story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a talented family you have! That would take such a delicate hand to paint so precisely.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I heartily concur with the comments of your other readers! Thank you for sharing your lovely family heirlooms with us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.