.jump-link{ display:none }

Wednesday 6 March 2013

Fearless Females 6 - Family Heirlooms

"Fearless Females" is a blog In honour of National Women's History Month in the USA. Suggested by Lisa Alzo of The Accidental Genealogist.  it provides 31 Blogging Prompts for March.  For  March 6th - Describe an heirloom that you have inherited from a female ancestor.

 
Do you, like me, gasp in amazement at the heirlooms that have survived down generations of ordinary families, as shown on TV's "Antique Roadshow" and "WDYTYA", or on blog postings. I marvel in particular at diaries, christening robes, and artist portraits. My heirlooms from my female ancestors  are much more mundane but still mean a great deal to me and can be summed up as stitching, paintings,  a few letters  plus a copper kettle and teasets.
 


This copper kettle stood in the hearth at my grandfther's house and I was always led to beleive that it was his mother's - my great grandmother Maria Danson, nee Rawcliffe (1859-1919).  I was so delighted when it eventually passed to me.


Complementing the kettle was a teaset which is now with Maria's granddaughter. Apparently Maria was very proud of the teaset which she got from collecting coupons from a newspaper offer.




My great grandmother Maria Danson, nee Rawcliffe.



Pink seemed to be the favoured colour for the "best" teaset and I have pieces from the wedding china of both my grandmother Alice Danson, nee English who married in 1907   and my mother Kathleen Weston, nee Danson who married in 1938. 

 



 I have a wonderful legacy of my mother's talent (below) as described in Kathleen Danson Happiness is Stitching.   LIkewise my Aunt Edith, whose painting features here. 

Rag doll made by my mother. Kathleen Danson




A Painting by my Aunt Edith

 
A talented duo - my mother and aunt - Kathleen and Edith Danson



 
These heirlooms, may not be all that old (dating only from the early 20th century), but they are precious to me and help create a picture of my ancestors and keep them alive in my memories.  I am so pleased to have them, particularly as I have nothing from my father's side of the family, nor does my husband of his family - such a pity and a lesson for us to keep  "Tomorrow's Heirlooms"  for future generations!



Copyright © 2013 · Susan Donaldson.  All Rights Reserved

 

2 comments:

  1. Your heirlooms may not be that old, but you have many of them and that is very lucky! I particularly love the copper tea kettle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are to be teasured, especially the doll and flower picture.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.