.jump-link{ display:none }

Friday 22 March 2013

April A-Z Challenge - Anticipation

 
 


I took part in two A-Z Challenges last year on the family history theme and found it stimulating and fun  to come up with topics for each letter. 
 
Rather than repeat myself, I am focusing this time  on A Sense of Place - a vital element in developing a family history story through our knowledge and understanding of where and how our ancestors lived.
 

 So I will be 
  • Featuring places connected with my own family history
  • Highlighting places with happy memories that are part of my own life.
  • Shining the spotlight on place names that appeal. 

By  chance this week I found out that the study of place names is called "Toponymy" , so become a "Toponymist"  and find out more on a journey from Auchenshuggle  to Zetland.

It  will certainly be a challenge to keep up with the pace of a letter a day, but watch this space. 

The Journey Starts on April 1st  
 
 

The carpet of crocuses at St. Chad's Church, Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancashire where my Danson ancestors were baptised, married and buried, from John Danson christened there in 1736 to my own christening over 210 years  later.
 
Photograph taken by my uncle Harry Rawcliffe Danson.
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Look forward to following your A2Z!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to joining you and others on the AtoZ. Have fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi
    I popped by as I'm also doing the A to Z. I am a writer and creative writing tutor and often run courses on turning family history research into a biography that others will want to read. It's really about putting flesh on the bare bone & agree that a sense of place is very important. That's especially true when it has been hard to discover more personal information about family members.
    Great site - I shall be back!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.