.jump-link{ display:none }

Wednesday 19 February 2014

52 Ancestors: 7- GGGG Grandfather John Danson

52ancestorsAmy at No Story Too Small has come up with a new challenge for 2014 - to write a post  each week on a specific ancestor.  

 
When I began researching my family history I hoped to get back through the census returns to the early 19th century, so I far exceeded my expectations by discovering    my four times great grandfather John Danson of Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancashire. John was baptised at St. Chad's Church, Poulton-le-Fylde,  Lancashire, on 19th September 1736, son of Peter Danson, husbandman of Poulton.


St. Chad's Church, Poulton-le-Fylde
John's marriage was traced in the Poulton Parish Register for 20th May 1757 where he was described as " of Thornton in the  parish of Poulton".  His wife was Margaret Fayle - father Henry.

John and Margaret proved to be long living, with Margaret buried at Poulton on 26th December 1815 aged 85 and John dying six years later, also aged 85, buried at Poulton on 30th May 1821. 

John made his will on 29th December 1813 and this document was traced in Lancashire Record Office:  It conveys something about his standing in the community, his level of education and confirmed the names of grandchildren. It is the little personal touches which give a picture on important possessions at the time:

 This is the last Will and Testament of me, John Danson of the Holme Nook within Great Carleton, yeoman. ……..

I bequeath to my son Henry my desk and all my books...to my daughter Jennet, wife of John Bryning, my corner cupboard now standing in the parlour of my house and my meal chest in the room above......


To my dear wife Margaret……my household goods, furniture, plate, china and implements as she may think necessary to keep hous with and to be enjoyed by her during her life ……..and all the rest residue of my household goods…..to my son Henry and Jennet equally to be divided……
And as to for and concerning  all my messuages (?), lands, tenements and heriditaments……my personal estate and effect, I give devise and bequeath  to my said Henry his heirs executors.

And from and after the death of my said daughter Jennet or after the death of my said wife, I give and bequeath the said sum of £800 equally unto and amongst all and every one of my grandchildren Richard, Thomas, Jennet, Margaret, Betty and John, sons and daughters of my said daughter Jennet.

And lastly I nominate and appoint my said son Henry and my grandsons, John Danson and Richard Bryning, Trustees and Executors”



A search in the Death Duty Records held at the National Archives confirmed the death on 27th May 1821 of John Danson, late of Holmenook.   The statement also confirmed the legatees of Margaret Danson (wife),  Henry Danson (son), Jennet Bryning (daughter), and grandchildren Richard Bryning, Jenny Chadwick, Thomas Bryning, Margaret Bryning, Betty Bryning and John Bryning.

Only two children Henry and Jennet are named in John's will.  However Poulton Parish Register,  transcribed on http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/,  confirmed the baptism of an earlier Henry in 1757 - buried in 1762,  Ellen baptised 28th May 1763, and also the burial  of Margaret aged 7 months in 1772.  What happened to Ellen remains a puzzle - more research needed here! 

Unfortunately with John Danson,  I  hit the proverbial brick wall, as I have been unable to find any further information on his father Peter - and here the search for my direct Danson ancestors seems to have come to a halt.   

.
Copyright © 2014 · Susan Donaldson.  All Rights Reserved

Adapted from a posting in 2011

1 comment:

  1. I have that word “messuages” in the will I just received for my 6x ggf George Danson. After doing some research I found its meaning: a dwelling house together with its outbuildings and any adjacent land appropriated to its use.
    There’s many uses of the word “betwixt” in my will, I’ve never heard it in context before!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.