The business was founded around 1890, steadily became prosperous and in 1905 moved to near North Station, in a house with a large yard, hay loft, tack room. and stabling for around 7 horses.
Shortly before his death Joseph had purchased the first vehicle (below) which was used alongside the horses and carts. until the 1930's when two new vehicles were bought. May Day and the dressing of the horses with brasses was a colourful event remembered by the family.
|The first Oldham road vehicle|
bought in 1921.