.jump-link{ display:none }

Sunday 21 January 2018

52 Ancestors: Week 3 - John Danson's Long Life (1736-1821)

Longevity is the theme of this week's prompt in Amy Johnson Crow's 2018 Challenge  - 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks.  

I am lucky - I come from a long living line of ancestors,  In 1900 the age expectancy was only 50,  partly so low, because of the high incidence of infant mortality and the death of women in childbirth.  

But my great, great, great great grandfather  John Danson (1736-1821) lived to th age of  85. 


Poulton Parish Register recorded the baptism of John Danson at St. Chad's Church, Poulton-le-Fylde,  Lancashire, on 19th September 1736, son of Peter Danson, husbandman of Poulton. 

John's marriage was traced to 20th May 1757 where he was described as "of Thornton in the  parish of Poulton".  His wife was Margaret Fayle - father Henry.

John and Margaret proved to be long living, with Margaret buried at Poulton on 26th December 1815 aged 85 and John dying six years later, also aged 85, buried at Poulton on 30th May 1821. 

John  made his will on 29th December 1813 and this document was traced in Lancashire Record Office and there are little touches which make fascinating reading.   It conveys something about John's standing in the community, his level of education, confirmed the names of grandchildren, and  gives us a picture on important possessions at the time.





This is the last Will and Testament of me, John Danson of the Holme Nook within Great Carleton, yeoman. …….. 
I give and bequeath to my son Henry my desk and all my books…….to my daughter Jennet, wife of John Bryning, my corner cupboard now standing in the parlour of my house and my meal chest in the room above the same. ……..
To my dear wife Margaret……my household goods, furniture, plate, china and implements as she may think necessary to keep hous with and to be enjoyed by her during her life ……..and all the rest residue of my household goods…..to my son Henry and Jennet equally to be divided……
And as to for and concerning  all my messuages (?), lands, tenements and heriditaments……my personal estate and effect, I give devise and bequeath  to my said Henry his heirs executors.

And from and after the death of my said daughter Jennet or after the death of my said wife, I give and bequeath the said sum of £800 equally unto and amongst all and every one of my grandchildren Richard, Thomas, Jennet, Margaret, Betty and John, sons and daughters of my said daughter Jennet.

And lastly I nominate and appoint my said son Henry and my grandsons, John Danson and Richard Bryning, Trustees and Executors”



A search in the Death Duty Records held at the National Archives confirmed the death on 27th May 1821 of John Danson, late of Holmenook.   The statement also confirms the legatees of Margaret Danson (wife),  Henry Danson (son), Jennet Bryning (daughter), and grandchildren Richard Bryning, Jenny Chadwick, Thomas Bryning, Margaret Bryning, Betty Bryning and John Bryning.

Only two children Henry and Jennet are named in John's will.  However Poulton Parish Register,  transcribed on http://www.lan-opc.org.uk/,  confirmed the baptism of an earlier Henry in 1757 - buried in 1762,  Ellen baptised 28th May 1763, and also the burial  of Margaret aged 7 months in 1772.  What happened to Ellen remains a puzzle - more research needed here! 

But with the birth of John in 1736, I hit the proverbial brick wall with my Danson research and have been unable so far to get back any further.  A fellow researcher has given me some possibilities for John's father, Peter that he found on Ancestry and Find my Past, but I am not convinced and need to follow these up more closely. 

Research never finishes!   



*************


52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks





1 comment:

  1. Good job, enjoyed reading that will, thinking of the lives of your ancestors. I agree, how we want to find links to the parents but lack definite knowledge through documentation! Keep on working on it.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.