.jump-link{ display:none }

Thursday 7 September 2017

Hats off to Boys and Girls! SepIs Saturday

This week's prompt shows two small children playing happily on a makeshift bike.   I have hardly any photographs showing toys, so instead I have opted to shout: 

"Hats off to Boys and Girls"


***************



Wearing a very fancy decorated hat, here with her father  is Florence Adelaide Mason (1898-1965),   my grandfather's cousin.  I have to thank my American third cousin, Bonny (Florence's granddaughter) who discovered my blog and made contact with this and many other  family photographs.  I was delighted to discover this American connection, as up until then,  my family seemed ot be very firmly based iln Lancashire, England.

Florence was the youngest of 11 children of John Mason and Alice Rawcliffe - sister of my my great grandmother Maria Danson, nee Rawcliffe.   John emigrated to the USA in 1887, followed a year later by Alice, travelling with six children under 13 years old and "two pieces of baggage".  Five more children were born in Brooklyn, New York, with three not surviving  infancy.  The family moved later  across the river to New Jersey.  

                                                                  **********



 My mother, Kathleen Danson, not too happy in this big brimmed hat, c.1911 



Kathleen, standing playing at dressing up, perhaps,  with her sister Edith. c.1913



Someone has been busy knitting this chunky outfit for little Annette King, my husband's second cousin.  She is all wrapped up in this outfit, set off by a bonnet,   reminiscent of a cloche hat style with the pom-pom on the side.  c.1920's . 





 
 Two photographs of a similar  period, c.early 1920's.  From the collection of my great aunt Jennie, and I guess they are probably children of her friends.  



My aunt  Peggy Danson , a bridesmaid at a wedding in a Dutcvh style hat, which seemed in fashion in the late 1920. 
Like mother, like daughter - myself  in  my sun hat here, c.1950, looking very like my mother in a similar hat in the photograph above. 


**********

And not forgetting boys in hats:



Joseph Prince Oldham, (1855-1917) my cousin's great grandfather


My uncle Fred Weston, c.1908.  He is all dressed up - but for what occasion?  I would love to have known.  In the 1911 census, the Weston family were living at Lunt Gardens, Bilston, Wolverhampton in the industrial English Midlands.  The road name  of Gardens seems to have been a misnomer, because the local sewerage works were also there.


A serious looking George Danson, my great uncle, wearing a flat cap, c. 1904.  Ten years later George, the youngest of eight brothers,  was killed at the Battle of  the Somme. 


My husband's brother  in the cap that was very popular for boys 1930-1950's. I remember my brother wearing this style,featuring the school badge,  as part of his school uniform,


****************


And finally - my daughter, wrapped up in her fur coat and matching bonnet for a ride on her first birthday present, forever known just as "Donkey" - January   1974.





***********


Sepia Saturday gives bloggers an opportunity to share 
their family history and memories through photographs.

Click  HERE to see tales from other Sepia Saturday  bloggers.  


10 comments:

  1. Lots of sweet children in hats here but little Annette is my favourite. You have a lovely collection of old family photographs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fabulous collection of hat photos...and the hand knits are excellent as well. Love the photos of you and your daughter. And thanks for giving me an idea for showcasing my file photos of unknown subjects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A marvelous collection of children in hats and a perfect take on the theme. Your Mom (in the photo with her sister in 1913) is a fine look-alike match for your daughter and granddaughter!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have to say Annette takes the prize. You could almost roll her down a hill! I could just pick her up and cuddle her. A charming gallery Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very Fetching Hats! Especially Yours!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, all, for taking the time to comment on my post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hats off for assembling a fine chapeau collection. The Dutch hat was a curious fashion to wear for a wedding. Perhaps a Dutch bride or groom? The most unexpected hat style is the one Joseph Prince Oldham is wearing. The material looks like fur. Beaver? Fox? Not what I'd consider suitable for a child. Not a very masculine style either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mike, for your comment. Re the Dutch hat worn by the little bridesmaid, I think it was just a fashion item of the time - the late 1920's. I also have a wedding photograph around the same date from my cousin's family and the small bridesmaid in a short dress was also wearing the style - and the events took place nearly 200 miles apart.

      Delete
  8. I kept saying, "this is my favorite" until I saw the next photo. I finally decided little Joseph Prince's was my favorite of all, simply because it is so outrageous, in my humble opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is an excellent collection of kids with hats. Some of them are relatives which is nice to know. My wife's grandmother was a Mason.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.