.jump-link{ display:none }

Tuesday 21 February 2017

Paintbrush at the Ready: Sepia Saturday

This week's Sepia Saturday prompt photograph shows a group of artists in a painting class outdoors.  It immediately brought back memories of artists we had seen in that most artistic  of cities  - Paris.  

An artist on the Left Bank of Paris looking across the Seine.





Artist at work in the Tuileries Gardens -
the place where Parisians celebrated, met, promenaded, and relaxed.[1]



***********
Thanking of painting though, also made me think of My Aunt  - Edith Danson.   She played a key role in my life and was a teacher, traveller, a great talker and my godmother.  She was also a talented lady in embroidery and art. 



 


 Edith was born 2nd September 1907, followed just a year and a week  later by my mother, Kathleen, born on 8th September 1908, daughters of William and Alice Danson of Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancashire.   They remained very close as sisters  and most of  the photographs I have of Aunt Edith show her almost always with my mother. 

Edith was a keen amateur artist, joining a group of like minded enthusiasts on painting holidays (as in the prompt photograph). Here is a small but favourite work on display in my home. 

 
 ]********

And finally - little granddaughter engrossed in her painting!


*****************

Sepia Saturday gives bloggers an opportunity 
to share their family history through photographs. 

Click HERE for more artistic memories  from fellow bloggers 

7 comments:

  1. Lovely post Sue. You really have covered all bases here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly, it runs in the family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love watching artists work; I’m full of admiration for them. Just as I am for your very talented aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ideal post for this weeks theme. I don't think anyone in either side of my family inherited the artistic ability.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A nice collection of artists doing their thing, and a nice tribute to your Aunt Edith. Her small painting of flowers is lovely. It will be interesting to see if granddaughter carries on with the artistic bent. Is daughter so talented?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isn't that a beautiful portrait of your aunt? I just love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Painting in public is not unlike playing a musical instrument in public. It's not like practice but instead it's a performance where everyone looking over your shoulder is a critic.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.