.jump-link{ display:none }

Sunday 14 February 2016

Sentimental Sunday - Love From Flanders Field

On this Valentine's Day, I like to look back on the embroidered cards my grandfather William Danson sent back home from the Battlefields of World War One to his wife alice, at home with four young children in Poulton-le-Fylde, Lancashire.  

I never knew my grandmother who died when i was a baby.  Grandad was a taciturn countryman, a labourer, not given to flowery language, so the emotions expressed through these cards seemed out fo character, but revealed his closeness to Alice.  In contrast the pencilled messages on the back were very prosaic. 



                                                   Field Post Office - Feb. 7th 1918


 Dear Alice, received your letter allright.  I have landed back at the Batt. and am in the pink.  I have had a letter from Jerny [sister] and am glad they have  heard from Tom [brother].  Your loving husband, Billy   XXX


 

 Field Post Office 29 April 1918
Dear Alice, just a line to let you know I am in the pink and hope all at home is the same. Thing that I want.  Will write again shortly.  Your loving Billy, xxxx

I don't know when the card below was sent, but again the love my grandparents shared shines through. 

Inside verse 
"Oh, Can you read the secret of my heart?
You surely must, dear Wife.
??? of myself, you are the better part, 
Companion for my life 
The secret is, wherever you may be, 
No power n earth can change my love for thee,

Your loving Billy XXXX



William and Alice, c.1916

                           William and Alice, 1938 at my parents' wedding

 ************

Sentimental Sunday is one of many daily prompts on Geneabloggers to encourage bloggers to record their family history  

Copyright © 2016 · Susan Donaldson.  All Rights Reserved


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.