A USA PRESIDENT
AN UNUSUAL SIGHT &
SOME UNUSUAL FACTS
A USA PRESIDENT is remembered on a Scottish Borders memorial in the Murray Aisle at the Auld KirKyard, Selkirk . For Franklin D. Roosevelt's mother had Murray ancestors.
AN UNUSUAL SIGHT to be found near Kelso - here is Hundy Mundy - an 18th century Gothic folly at Mellerstain, near Kelso, built by William Adam, the famous architect who also designed the nearby Mellerstain House.
- There are said to be 14 sheep for every person in the Scottish Borders.
- The Scottish Borders is the only region in mainland Scotland without a railway station, after the the 100 mile Waverley Line from Edinburgh to Carlisle closed in 1969 - all due to change next year when the line is partially re-opened for 30 miles south of Edinburgh.
- A Borderer John Small (1740-1793) invented the swing plough which revolutionized agriculture. Adaptations of his plough allowed the great prairies of Canada and the USA to become "the breadbasket of the world".
- The maze at Traquair House, Peeblesshire is home to one of the largest hedge mazes in Scotland . It covers over half an acre and the distance to the centre is a quarter of a mile. The maze has an unusual layout with no dead ends.
- Scotland's national bard Robert Burns first set foot on English soil in 1787 when he crossed the "Glorious River Tweed" at Coldstream, Berwickshire. He knelt and prayed for blessings on this native land - an event marked by this plaque.
|Coldstream Bridge across the River Tweed, marking the border between Scotland and England. The bridge opened in 1767.|
Valour and Votes for Women
A-Z Challenge Preview
A-Z Challenge A - Abbeys,Abbotsford and Armstrong's
A-Z Challenge B - Border Reivers, Border Ballads and Blackmail
A-Z Challenge F - Flodden, Fletcher and Flowers of the Forest
A-Z Challenge G - A Green & Pleasant Land and Galashiels
A-Z Challenge H - Hermitage Castle and Hawick
A-Z Challenge K - Kalaidoscope, Kelso and Kinmont Willie
A-Z Challenge L - The Fair Lilliard and Leaderfoot Viaduct
A-Z Challenge M - Muckle Mou'ed Meg and Melrose
A-Z Challenge N - Newark Castle and Nature
A-Z Challenge O - Oxford Connections - Sir James Murray & Mary Somerville
A-Z Challenge P - Pele Towers and Princely Connections
A-Z Challenge Q - Queen of Scots and Queen of Elfland
A-Z Challenge R - Rivers, Rugby and Rumbledethumps
A-Z Challenge S - Scott's, Sir Walter and 'Scott's View
A-Z Challenge T - Turnbull's and Thomas the Rhymer