It is in the Old Calton Burial Ground in Edinburgh, and was erected in 1898 in memory of the Scottish soldiers who fought in the American Civil War on the side of the Union. It features a freed slave and one of Lincoln’s famous quotations "To preserve the jewel of liberty in the framework of freedom". A bronze shield bears the old US flag, and is wreathed in thistles to the left, and cotton to the right to signify the two countries.
Calton Cemetery (below), just off Princes Street, was opened in 1718 as a non-denominational burial ground and is the resting place of prominent merchants and other notable worthies of the city.
Looking up to Calton Hill and the Dugald Stewart Monument which was modelled on the ancient Temple of the Winds in Athens,