.jump-link{ display:none }

Wednesday 30 May 2012

A Pigeon Sent the News - Sports Centre Saturday

My father John Weston (1912-2003) always had an interest in journalism and I persuaded him to write down memories of his early life in Brosely, near Ironbridge, Shropshire and of his war-time experiences. 

I love this childhood anecdote. 

"I was mad keen on soccer, so much so that I had a trial at Birmingham with the English schoolboys.  My teacher took me in his car to that and to a second trial at Shrewsbury.    

One Saturday when I was working as an errand boy, two directors from Birmingham Football Club came to see Dad and Mum to sign me on   - they refused, saying I was too young to be away from home.   I was not told about this until later and sulked for a month!

But a bit of glory followed, when my school team entered a cup competition.  I was vice-captain and we got to the final - and won the cup, the first ever for  Brosely.

One of the supporters took a carrier pigeon along with us and set it loose at the end to let Brosely know the result and to prepare a welcome, as we were bringng home the cup! "

Postscript - apparently a photograph was taken of the team's success, but  no pictures of my father's early life passed down the family. I have very few photographs prior to his meeting my mother. Family memorabilia (including Dad's church choir and football team photographs) were thrown out by his  widowed sister-in-law. How sad! 

<><><><><><><><>
The earliest photograph I have of my father (on left) with his brother Charles, c.1930's


Sports Center Saturday is one of many daily blog prompts from  www.geneabloggers.com,
encouraging writers to record their family history and family memories.

2 comments:

  1. A delight full story, and the pigeon a good twist, reminding us of times before we were connected by instantaneous communication,

    BTW I understand the frustration and sadness when relatives throw out pictures in whchich they have no interest -- or for whatever reason.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a photo freak I get so cross to hear that people (often in-laws) happily throw out heirlooms! So sad! I loved the pigeon twist... a change from www or twitter.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comment which will appear on screen after moderation.